Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2010, 07:30 PM

Default Track audio "disappearing" post 8.0.4 update

After updating to 8.0.4 a few days ago I have discovered that there are numerous new glitches in my working files. Most notably if I mute then later unmute a track I am finding sometimes that I still can't hear the track (it is still muted even though the mute box is not clicked). I have also experienced numerous tracks suddenly become muted even when I have not clicked any buttons to logically evoke audio cutting out. This obviously is very annoying and totally destroys my work flow. I have tried various work-arounds like clicking the solo the track then un-soloing. Sometimes this gets it to work and sometimes it doesn't. The one thing that consistently will get everything turned back on and working normally is to close the project and Protools and sometimes even reboot the machine - a big waste of my time for something that never (Never) happened before the update.

Also I have noticed a significant increase in the CPU overload error message on projects where I never got that message before the update. This is really frustrating as I have set this time aside to finish up a series of projects that have all kinds of inserts and plugins. They were all working before the update as well with no CPU overload messages.

I already rebooted from the install disc and reset/verified permissions but that did not change anything. Nothing else new has been done to this machine since the Protools update, and it was only after the update that I have had these problems.

Before launching into a time consuming and possibly, long wild goose chase of troubleshooting efforts I thought I would see if anyone had any simple solutions or suggestions for this problem? I am away from home presently (working vacation for a few weeks) or I would probably be inclined to reinstall Protools to the level I had it before (8.01) since it was much more stable and functional prior to the "upgrade".

Is it possible to uninstall an update without starting over?

Thanks,

Blu

MacBook Pro 17 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 gigs RAM, MBox 2 Pro, Pro Tools LE 8.0.4, OS X.5.8
Old 07-31-2010, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Track audio "disappearing" post 8.0.4 update

I also have an issue with the CPU overload error message and 8.0.4:

Sometimes, in the middle of the session with no big changes, it just shows the message everytime i hit play. Playing a less crowded spot of the session or even loading a very simple 1-track session won't help then. Then I restart PT and it's fine again - for a while.
It was fine with 8.0.3

Mac Os 10.6.3
Old 07-31-2010, 08:41 PM

Oh well, I did not upgrade to 8.0.3, just went straight to 8.0.4 from 8.0.1. I don't know what possessed me, probably a hormonely influenced moment of optimism in the universe. Whoops! The previous version I was using worked fine. If I can figure out a fix I will try to downgrade to that one, as there doesn't seem to be any known reason for the problem, or at least I can't find one and nobody has offered any. The difference is night and day for me as I have to restart and finagle constantly to get anything "done". Mostly I am not getting anything done as the work flow is constantly being interupted.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Avid

We're going to need more info to help you - things like the error numbers you're getting, what types of drives you're using to record/playback, how everything is connected (in which order and using what types of cables), etc.

The Help Us Help You thread has details about what we need to know to properly assist you...