Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2010, 01:50 PM

Default Disappearing Track in Mixdown

I'm kinda new to all this so forgive me if I'm asking a dumb question but here goes ...

I have a project in Pro Tools 8.0.3 LE that I wanted to do a quick mixdown to let a friend listen to. One track in the project is a rhythm guitar and it's fader is pulled down because it isn't an instrument that I want out in front on the song. I can hear it fine cutting through the mix relative to all the other instruments in multi track. However, I have tried a couple of different ways to get this to 2 track and when I do, this guitar part is non-existent or so quiet it's barely audible. I have observed this with both a bounce to disk and sending it out my SPDIF connection to my Masterlink 2 track recorder via a Master track. Now how can I hear it fine in the multi track but it drops off the face of the earth in 2 track? Is it because the overall volume of the entire project is too low? What's really puzzling is that in the Masterlink, I hear everything just like in Pro Tools, but when I render a CD, that guitar is gone or too quiet to hear.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Disappearing Track in Mixdown

Are you listening to your mix in a different way to the way you're listening to your multitrack? For example, are you listening to your multitrack protools mix through headphones and then listening to a finalized CD on a separate CD player?
Old 03-07-2010, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Disappearing Track in Mixdown

I listen to my multi track mix with Mackie HR 824's plugged directly to out 1 and 2 on the Digi 002. I listened to my CD by putting it in my Mac which has a 1/8th inch to 2 quarter inch adapter plugged to In 1 and 2 on the 002. To listen to it I close PT and put the 002 in standalone mode. Put the CD in. I honestly think the whole project is too low in volume because I am having to turn the monitor knob up to about 2 oclock for a reasonable listening volume. The real question might be how to raise the overall volume of the project. The master fader is up as far as it can go without clipping.