Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2009, 12:35 AM

Exclamation SC 48 - 48 Inputs and only 18 recordable???

Hi everybody,
Hi Sheldon!

I just read the news about the SC48 - fantastic morning for me here!
But one thing I really do not understand:

you introduce such a great product, and it has 48 Inputs.
But don´t you know the LE Interface with its 18 Tracks Limit is TOTALLY USELESS??????

At least there should (not to say MUST BE in future) a paid option for a HDx Card, to be able to reacord all 48 Tracks!!!

If you guys don´t do that, you are not better than Yamaha, and I tell you, I have a friend working at Digico, these guys are really chasing you with their new desks - and all you need for them is a MADI Interface (like a RME MadiFace) to record Direct Outs of 56 Tracks....

SO PLEASE:

I know why only LE in the desk, and I know why the LE Track Limit, but PLEASE understand:
you guys have to keep up with the times!!

releasing a desk with 48 inputs, and only giving it 18 Direct Outs to record in 2009 is (and I am REALLY sorry to having to say this, since I am a big Digi Fan) just stupid.

THERE MUST COME A HDx OPTION!!!!!!!!
(I will not ask for expanding the LE Limit of 18 to 48 for this desk, because this would be too simple...)

www.audio-machinery.com
Old 05-08-2009, 06:50 AM

Default Re: SC 48 - 48 Inputs and only 18 recordable???

I think the product looks really great, but hopefully this is a cue that in the (hopefully near) future, some expanded options are available to LE users...
Old 05-08-2009, 07:08 AM

I BET we´ll never see these things in the LE world.

all I ask for is a HDx Card for the SC48.

by the way, is it technically possible to do 48 I/Os via FireWire 400?
I do not know of any interface that can do this!

www.audio-machinery.com
Old 05-08-2009, 07:32 AM

I think I've heard the technical limit is 30 or 32...which I'm hoping to see...
Old 05-08-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi R View Post
Hi everybody,
Hi Sheldon!

I just read the news about the SC48 - fantastic morning for me here!
But one thing I really do not understand:

you introduce such a great product, and it has 48 Inputs.
But don´t you know the LE Interface with its 18 Tracks Limit is TOTALLY USELESS??????

At least there should (not to say MUST BE in future) a paid option for a HDx Card, to be able to reacord all 48 Tracks!!!

If you guys don´t do that, you are not better than Yamaha, and I tell you, I have a friend working at Digico, these guys are really chasing you with their new desks - and all you need for them is a MADI Interface (like a RME MadiFace) to record Direct Outs of 56 Tracks....

SO PLEASE:

I know why only LE in the desk, and I know why the LE Track Limit, but PLEASE understand:
you guys have to keep up with the times!!

releasing a desk with 48 inputs, and only giving it 18 Direct Outs to record in 2009 is (and I am REALLY sorry to having to say this, since I am a big Digi Fan) just stupid.

THERE MUST COME A HDx OPTION!!!!!!!!
(I will not ask for expanding the LE Limit of 18 to 48 for this desk, because this would be too simple...)
My thoughts on this..... (and all just IMHO) I am sure to fit the SC48 into a price point there had to be some compromises in the architecture. It would have been interesting to be in the planning meetings when Digi was developing the SC48 and deciding what are the most important feature sets to offer at the price point. Yes it would be nice to have a full 48 direct outs but considering this is a live console the first thing I would do is put the emphasis on the live aspect not the recording capabilities.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:44 PM

Talking Crazy

I also can't believe Digi would dare to introduce a new low price point product that doesn't do everything their flagship product does!

BTW I keep seeing more and more profiles... Keane at Fox in Oakland, CA.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Crazy

Not sure about future plans, but I know that for price point reasons alone there was never any intention to make HDx available for Venue SC48. The plan was to have the console ready to rock and ready to record out of the box with the user only having to supply their own laptop. If you're starting from scratch on the PT side then going for an HD2 system w/HDx card and computer puts you at almost $20K list. That prices most of the people that this unit is directed towards right out of the market.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:03 AM

Default Crazy

Sorry. My "crazy" post was intendended as a bit of dry humor. No offense intended.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:28 AM

I think its a interesting product. It looks like its probably priced for its segment and I could see them selling them by the truckload. If you could record on all 48 inputs (or significantly more than 18) it would be nothing short of awsome. Hopefully they will enable more recordable tracks in a future update.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-09-2009, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Crazy

TwoPort,

My bad, I responded to the wrong post!

Guys the main problem here is that the interface comes from the Firewire interface developed for the 002-003 based ProTools LE systems. I know that Sheldon, Tybor, Al and Doug are probably pleading for resources to develop a new interface when ever they get the chance, but decisions regarding budget allocation are not theirs.

I understand that the FWx interface feels limiting especially when we know that PT8 will support 48 channels of playback and recording native. But if someone else can show me a console that lists at $26,495 that will allow you to record into a competing DAW right away, just add laptop, then I think we have something to be concerned about.

While there are many Venue users out there, my understanding is that the company has sold about 1,000 systems (pre-SC48 don't know how much it will add to the total). That means that things are going to get prioritized more towards helping them sell consoles through hardware and software configurations that enhance mixing capability, versus fixing an interface that they ported over from another division. I'm quite confident it will happen guys, we just need to be patient.