Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2006, 05:59 PM

Default Guitar-MBox issues

Howdy- I've been recording with a very basic MBox/G4 Powerbook based studio for a couple of days now with no hitches...UNTIL TONIGHT. I've been using primarily my Martin Acoustic/Electric guitar straight into the MBox (no amping whatsoever), which was a problem-free setup until a couple of hours ago, when something decided to stop working with me.

Whereas before, the guitar sound was bright and clear in my headphones and soudned great, I can now only very faintly hear the guitar sound in my headphones with the track record-enabled, and it's extremely quiet and distorted, and records thus. I tried a different cable with the same result, and a different guitar with the same result. I also tried all of these things in both inputs. Oddly enough, my vocal mic (also running straight into the MBox), is working perfectly in both inputs. It appears that my MBox suddenly decided that it was no longer in the mood to record acoustic guitars at all...or maybe its that type of cable as opposed to a mic cable? But why? And what can I do about it?

Is my MBox just ready to be put out to pasture, or is this fixable? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Guitar-MBox issues

Welcome to the DUC. This is the PT TDM forum. Please note that there is a forum dedicated to ProTools LE and its various hardware options, such as the MBox (scroll down from from the DUC’s main page and you’ll see it).

While most of the PT software is the same for both platforms, each has its own set of exclusive compatibility requirements, features, issues and problems. (Obviously, this is paramount when it comes to hardware, which is completely different.) Therefore, most answers to such will vary also—highlighting the wisdom of posting on the appropriate forum.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 07-09-2006, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Guitar-MBox issues

You must have hit Apple K. Which switches monitoring back and forth to hearing it only when the track is either record enabled or if the "I:" input inly monitor is selected.deselected. Take Andre's advice. Welcome and we're happy to help, but you will get better rersults by talking to other M-box users. I doubt if there are anything wrong with your mic pres. Good luck! Happy DUC hunting!