Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Re: The exchange-to-PCIe pricelist is up now.

The prices for Mix System upgrade to PCIe HD Accel looks very reasonable!!!!
Old 12-16-2005, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Why not buy an expansion chassis instead when you upgrade your computer. That will be a lot cheaper.
Totally.

At this time I see no reason to upgrade my G5/HD2 Accel.
Why would I? Just to say I did? And who cares? My clients? You guys are the only ones who care. I'd buy a bigger monitor and a D-Command first. Digi will get and keep getting my money one way or another though.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:35 PM

$5000 !!!!!!!! (hdaccel3 to pcie)

Holy [bleep]!

Same card ..... same dsp power ..... $5000 !!!!!

B BYE.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:41 PM

Can this be true?

Price to upgrade MixPlus system to HD2 Accel PCIe is the same as upgrading an HD2 system???

Meanwhile price to upgrade Mix3 system to HD3 Accel PCIe is $500 more than HD3 system???

These prices are a real kick in the face for HD owners. Now that all G5s have PCIe, it puts HD owners needing a new computer in the position of buying a previous G5 model or paying outrageous prices for upgrading.

Also don't understand how upgrading an HD process to Accel card is $3495 when you can currently buy massive pack pro for the same price get plug-ins and keep your current HD process card? I know it's a limited time offer still...seems a little out of wack.

These prices are a real kick in the face for HD owners. Now that all G5s have PCIe, it puts HD owners needing a new computer in the position of buying a previous G5 model or paying outrageous prices for upgrading. It would be nice if Digi rewarded those customers that upgraded previous systems before. So a person who upgraded from PT to MixPlus to HD to HD Accel would pay substantially less than someone who has held on to their Mix Rig without upgrading.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:52 PM

Another voice in the choir! HD2-Accel to HD2-Accel PCIe ($3495) is $500 less than MixPlus to PCIe ($3995). YIKES! Regardless this is WAY to much $$$ to even consider! Looks like my G5 better keep working for many years! And I got the PCIx model G5 thinking I was looking out for the future. Glad I got Apple care on this one....

3 years from now I may be looking very hard at Native solutions.....

-Lee
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 12-16-2005, 08:54 PM

Dear Digidesign.

You suck.

This is the final insult in a long line of them. Let me get this straight, when I upgraded my MIX+ to an HD3, it cost me $6700.

NOW, simply to upgrade my HD3 to an HD3 pciE, you want to charge me FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS!

FIVE

THOUSAND

DOLLARS

All to exchange my cards, which probably cost about $50 in parts, for another set, that has the EXACT SAME PROCESSING POWER, only a couple of pins different.

Five.

Thousand.

Dollars.

Let me restate:

You. Suck.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:07 PM

Though, digi have carefully avoided answering questions about processing power. Apparently the PCIe core card is an ACCEL core card. So, it might have a performance gain.

But yeah - the price from HD to HD PCIe is high.

Glad I stuck with MIX that little bit longer, but I'm sure I'll be burned again... We all have, but we're still here...
Old 12-16-2005, 11:01 PM

Speechless on the price list. However....

at least you might get a free upgrade to PT7 if you havn't done so already.

Anybody wondering if MacIntels will need to downgrade from PCIe?
Old 12-16-2005, 11:11 PM

Hi Folks,

First, I do not work for Digidesign. So, what I'm about to say (write) is not because I get any form of compensation from Digidesign.

Second, please understand that I intimately understand how a high tech software and hardware company works (from engineering to manufacturing to sales for the last 17 years).

So here goes...

What do you expect? Digidesign gives you the cards? I do not know the manufacturing cost of the new cards but I do know they are NOT free to Digidesign. Digidesigns pays money for the components on the card and then a contract manufacturer to make the card (and then packaging, QA, etc, etc). What that cost is I don't know but it ain't free. So what you should all be asking yourselves is what does the card cost and what is reasonable for Digidesign to sell them for.

Do you expect Digidesign to lose money to sell you new cards?

Do you expect Digidesign to stay in business?

Digidesign, like any good high tech company, walks the balance of fulfilling a need with their customers and making a profit. As such, they cannot lose money and must make money to stay in business.

So...the real question is not if you must pay for the upgrade because the new product costs someone something...the real question is if Digidesign is gouging their customers to make a lateral move (some could say it isn't lateral given the HD new accel core but that really isn't the argument here).

As someone that has worked in support, marketing and sales for high tech companies I appreciate that Digidesign must get money for the new cards. However, I also appreciate that helping customers make a lateral move that I must be mindful to do it as painless as possible.

My hope is that those that don't understand how high tech companies work realize that things are not free and we not only expect support from our vendors but we must support them. Because if my vendor goes away...I know that my investment to move to a competitor (regardless of how good that alternative is) will cost *me* quite a bit....

A customer and vendor relationship is actually a partnership. Each side must respect and understand each others position to make it work. It is very possible the cards cost Digidesign a pretty penny and hopefully they are just covering their costs (which is much more than just the hardware costs, there is software engineering, QA, packaging, etc) and not trying to gouge their loyal customers for what appears to be a lateral move....

EPD
Old 12-17-2005, 12:19 AM

Wait!

I don't think anyone here is saying that Digi should GIVE anything.

But five thousand dollars, to EXCHANGE cards that cost me $6700 dollars, is absolutely insultingly ridiculous. And for cards that offer me NOTHING but compatibility. No performance gain. No extra bells and whistles.

Because as you can probably guess, those cards actually cost Digi pretty little, would be my guess. Some DSP chips and some resistors.

So what do I expect? Well, since I just bought my HD system less than six months ago, I'd like to Digi to let me trade in my cards for a REASONABLE price. To me reasonable would be enough to cover the actual cost of the new cards (of course I don't expect Digi to lose money) and a small fee to cover the cost of someone there putting them in a box, and attaching postage. So there's no WAY it should cost more than a thousand bucks.

And you know what? Should Digi do it without making a profit? Sure. They should. Because that's how they get and keep customers. It's called customer service, and it's pretty lacking there I think. I spent a whole lot of money. The company I work for spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on PT gear. And at every turn, it seems like with Digi and Waves, every single move is made to extract another bunch of money.

I want to be treated fairly, not raped. And to tell you the truth, looking at that price list, I'm starting to walk bow-legged.