Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2000, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Protools Certification?

It's funny how the only people that I have ever heard use the "Those that can't, teach" quote have been complete idiots. This has just been my own personal experience, as I would never apply a generalization about people I don't know personally. I've been lucky enough to study music with Lorne Lofsky (toured in Oscar Peterson's band, Chet Baker...) as well as Pat Labarbara (Buddy Rich, Elvin Jones....)and I would have to say from my polite Canadian perspective that they can play their MOTHER ****** behinds off.

I think it's pretty safe to say that everybody understands the importance of "baptism by fire" and real world experience as being the most important aspect of realizing professional success. Learning the elements of music, audio recording,ect in a structured environment such as a good school or private teacher can only help someone to build the solid foundation crucial to achieving "real world" success. Can you tell I do some teaching? Anyways, I've just found that most sucessful and talented professionals don't find it necessary to look down on or diminish the hard work and dedication of others to their craft. Art is a relative term and imagination and inspiration are necessary to be good at anything you do, be it music, audio recording or physics. Thanks for letting me vent. Peace and Beer!!

[This message has been edited by Bill Miller (edited June 26, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Bill Miller (edited June 26, 2000).]
Old 06-26-2000, 06:23 PM

I am amazed how stuff gets twisted here on 'Nerd Net'. I'll just sit back and watch from now on.<g>

[This message has been edited by PeterCole (edited June 26, 2000).]
Old 06-28-2000, 05:27 PM

THE BLIND LEADING THE BLIND.
Old 06-29-2000, 05:51 AM

>I believe you'll learn more practical info >in 6 months sitting behind a great >engineer then you will learn in a school). >When I hire someone I look for real >world experience.

Going to an Avid certified school will not teach you how to become a recording engineer, rather it teaches you how to use a narrow set of tools, ie. ProTools. Learning ProTools from an engineer will teach you one man's way of using a tool. The school will expose the student to a much broader use of PT. Sitting behing a great engineer after learning ProTools will offer an assistant the best of both worlds.
Old 06-29-2000, 08:34 AM

If the above quotes are from the Nick Batzdorf of Home and Studio Recording magazine I salute you As a graduate from the school of H&SR I'd say a combo of both classroom and hands on experience are best. Sure it looks good to have Digi Certification on your resume but the credit one receives for their work on the back of a CD jacket is what's saying you're a pro. Oh, by the way, the dues paying is worth it all in the end.
Old 06-29-2000, 09:41 AM

"I believe you'll learn more practical info in 6 months sitting behind a great engineer then you will learn in a school). When I hire someone I look for real world experience."

Obviously, real world experience is important. But if you're hiring an "entry level" person to help out, they're not going to have much of that right away. And nowadays, how do you even get a great engineer to let him/her sit behind you for six months?

I'd much rather bring in a guy with a good education than a guy who spent six months sweeping floors at a recording studio. Sure, an education doesn't guarantee anything. But getting a degree from a reputable college at least shows that you can work hard, meet deadlines, you have the basic reading, writing and math skills (and hopefully some physics, computer stuff, and music playing/writing chops), not to mention you're not a complete idiot. (now I'm talking about regular universities here, not quickie knob-turner programs) A guy who's fresh out of high school might be willing to try really hard, but does an employer really want to take a chance on such an unknown?

Most studios get dozens of kids wanting to be interns (apprentices) every year. Just getting to "hang around" can be extremely difficult. When there are so many college grads, why even bother with someone with no education at all. (not to mention the connections - many people give preference to graduates of the school they went to)

Actually, I think the best thing to do if you want to get into the audio industry is learn some C++, some dsp, learn how to build gear, how to fix it, etc. Guys like that are always in demand.

Just my opinion.

Mike
Old 06-29-2000, 05:49 PM

Thanks Hank5 (although we dropped 'H&S' from the title a few years ago!).

Peter C., after re-reading your first post I see that you weren't actually saying that schooling is useless. That line about teachers just pushes my buttons.
Old 07-03-2000, 02:17 AM

Hello, I would like to address anyone interested in Pro Tools certification. I am a lab instructor for our Pro Tools lab at the Conservatory of Recording Arts & Sciences. As you may have figured out by now our school offers the Pro Tools certification. As far as I know this is NOT available seperate from the complete 30 week Master Recording Program. I am sure you can contact Digidesign and find out where to attend a stand alone Pro Tools Certification course. In my honest opinion though, I do not believe that Pro Tools Certification is for someone who is already an expert in Pro Tools. These courses are more of an introduction for the beginner. If certification is important to you then go for it, but your experience, knowledge, willingness/capability to learn, and your attitude will determine your employment in the audio production industry, not a meaningless piece of paper. Pro Tools certification is icing on the cake, not proof of a thourough education.

Matt
C.R.A.S.
Old 07-05-2000, 10:51 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill Miller:
[B] It's funny how the only people that I have ever heard use the "Those that can't, teach" quote have been complete idiots.

& boy, did I ever use that line when I was in school!

So now I use Pro-Tools every day in my job and teach it at a state college at nights.

When I look for entry level people for production, they MUST know Pro-Tools, 'cause we're too busy to teach it on the job. Besides, there's too mamy other things to learn at work, like day to day business, etc.

Then there's 'ears' & 'timing' which can be taught-but only to a certain point.

And then attitude & disposition....

My list of requirements for applicants?:

1)Attitude-can you get along with a diversity of personalities?
2)Knowledge of technology-Digi & analog
3)Willingness & ability to learn.

Go to a school to learn Pro-Tools? Sure! But that's not all you'll need.

My 2.5 cents.
-Joel
Old 07-26-2000, 06:36 PM

Can any of you teach me how to run PowerMix 4.3 on an iMac SE with OS 9?

If so, I can teach you back some modern geometry... pls.

dino