Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2001, 09:48 AM

Default Little Video Capture Card

I was looking in a MacMall catalog and they have a little cable that is basically a video cable, and two RCA plugs that convert to what appears to be a ADB plug.

My question is this: does anyone know if a cable like this exists say, from a Video/RCA to either firewire or USB?

That would be nice to save PCI slots. Maybe go straight to iMovie? I dunno.

Andy O.
Old 10-01-2001, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Little Video Capture Card

Here it is:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=105787

I wonder if this could replace the need for the Fuse card. Hmm....

Andy O.
Old 10-02-2001, 07:02 AM

I think the adb thing you refer to is an S Video connector. I dought it does 640x480 at 29.97 but it may fullfill your needs. Imovie only works with stray dv clips or you can convert othrer clips to dv and use them as stray clips or just use straight DV clips using firewire.
Old 10-02-2001, 10:29 AM

From there site. Resolution is 352 x 288 @ 30frames per second or 640 x 480 @ 15 frames per second.

Paul
Old 10-04-2001, 10:17 AM

I have this little gem and it has saved me alot of work! I used it to bounce in a short film I was doing sound for from a VHS window dub out of the video editors "Smoke". Since I new the frame rate and the first frame of the dub I was able to record into the (included) strata video shop as a quicktime file (15minutes of film). I then found the first moving frame of SMPTE and deleted everything before that so the first frame of the quicktime movie was the first frame of SMPTE (which matched the start time of my protools session). This took about 5 minutes. Then I imported it into my PT session and I now had a perfect visual refernce to mix to. The sync was perfect and when I was done I bounced all my files (including a reference 2 pop which was supplied from the original video) back as AIFF files which were imported direvtly back into the video editor. It was incredibly painless and amazingly fast and it worked as good as I could have hoped. Plus it cost me $100.00!!!. What amazed me was that it worked on the first try and was so simple. I didn't even read the manual b/c I didn't have time and it still worked great.

p.s.
put the video on a seperate scsi or ide bus from your audio like digi recomends or everythng will go slow like molasses.
Old 10-04-2001, 01:19 PM

Cool. Very Cool.

Thanks Otis!
Old 10-04-2001, 06:43 PM

You could hunt down the Sony media converter which I believe converts from composite to Firewire quite well. Still need SW to capture it.