Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2004, 12:18 AM

Default Share your Pro Tools regions with other apps...

Sorry for the promotion, but I figured this may be considered more of a public service announcement than an advertisement... since I figure most of the target audience hang out here...

I just released a little utility named Region Synch to convert Pro Tools regions between Sound Forge and other Windows apps which support the same region structure.

Apps I've tested it with include:

Sony Sound Forge
Sony CD Architect
Sony Vegas
Steinberg WaveLab
Adobe Audition
Samplitude
n-Track Studio

There's a demo available on my web site (plus other free apps ).

www.railjonrogut.com

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 08-13-2004, 05:21 AM

Default Re: Share your Pro Tools regions with other apps...

Rail,very cool, I think.But it is very early in the morning and the fog hasn't lifted.Can you just briefly give me the practical application in a few words.I promise to buy one if you do

Old 08-13-2004, 07:08 AM

Default Re: Share your Pro Tools regions with other apps..

is it possible to export tracks cubase or another multitracker similar to OMF export?
Old 08-13-2004, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Rail,very cool, I think.But it is very early in the morning and the fog hasn't lifted.Can you just briefly give me the practical application in a few words.I promise to buy one if you do
There are a few applications.. if you want to prepare a CD, you can now BTD your complete album inside Pro Tools and import the bounced file and then separate the regions for each track... you then name each region for each song, select them all and press CTRL+SHIFT+Y to export the region definitions.. you can now open the WAV file in any CD burning app in the list and access the tracks... without having to export each song as a separate sound file. This saves you both time and disk space.

Game developers record the dialog into Pro Tools and have to batch process hundreds of little regions... they used to have to record the audio and create the regions in Pro Tools and export each region as a separate audio file for processing in Sound Forge. You can find the genesis for this app in the DUC thread here.

If you only have a DirectX plug-in.. and you want to tune a phrase of a full vocal.. you simply select the region in Pro Tools and export it (CTRL+SHIFT+Y), now open your other app which has DirectX support and process the region without having to redefine it.. save the WAV file and return to Pro Tools and continue working and the region still is defined.

Of course, it works both ways.. you can also see regions defined in other apps in Pro Tools or when you go to the Import Audio dialog… so you don’t have to import the whole file and create the region.. it’s already done.

I’m sure there are many more uses and I hope users will add their own application tips to this thread… however these are the most common.

I recommend you download the demo and play with it.. you may find you use it more than you thought (if you have any of the other apps).

It’s definitely not a replacement for the OMF tool – this will let you open the sound file in your other app and have the same region definitions you have in the other recognized. If you're not using the OMF tool, then Region Synch will let you see the regions defined in the other app.. even when they send you only audio files consolidated from Bar 1 Beat 1.

Rail
Old 08-13-2004, 10:25 AM

Now if you can make that work reliably with Sound Designer 2...

Old 08-13-2004, 10:40 AM

Excellent,I will purchase it right now.It will be great for me as I use both Soundforge and Wavelab, and I like some of the Direct X plugins.I have been doing it the tedious way.

Old 08-13-2004, 10:47 AM

Rail,I tried to buy it with Paypal but I got an error page.Email me and I will do it directly .Thanks

Old 08-13-2004, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Now if you can make that work reliably with Sound Designer 2...

You can achieve this now using my sdTwoWav (free utility) and Region Synch. Since you need to convert the sd2 files to WAV anyway.. this combo give you exactly what you want.. sdTwoWav maintains the Pro Tools region definitions when creating the BWF files if you use MacDrive5.

Rail
Old 08-13-2004, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Rail,I tried to buy it with Paypal but I got an error page.Email me and I will do it directly .Thanks
Which browser are you using? If you download the demo (which is the full version) it has a button to link to PayPal as well.

No rush to purchase.. give the demo a spin for a few days.

Rail
Old 08-13-2004, 10:56 AM

Ok I'll try that.I have a bunch of US dollars in my Paypal account and they are burning a hole in my pocket.It cost's to much to convert them to CDN dollars, so I figure I'll spend them while I have them, and your product sounds sweet.