Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2009, 11:24 PM

Red face Command 8 versus Mackie Control

all in all to me Command 8 is a much better control surface for pro tools than the mackie control... I sold my mackie because I was tired of the slow slow hui protocol... editing plugins via mackie control is not as nice as it is on the command 8... push the focus button and click on a plugin ... it automatically will be displayed with its parameters in the command 8 display... click another plugin and the display follows... create groups in protools (let 's say of 8 or 16 tracks of a kind) control-click on the groupname in the mix window and command 8 will automically show only those selected tracks... when you hide tracks in protools they will be hidden on the command8 as well... this never worked with the mackie control and logic... cool shortcut: control-click on track name in the edit window... command8 will display that track... (good for quickly going and displaying the last tracks of a large session opt-cmd down arrow and control-click on track name... two commands and you are at the last tracks of your session instead of pushing the banks button 10 times) ...what I do miss is a scroll wheel... I bought the contourdesign shuttlePro v2 and it works perfectly together with protools and command8... it is cheap and reliable and you have several knob you can use for whatever shortcut you like... I would say it is a must have for command 8 users!
Old 10-06-2009, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Command 8 versus Mackie Control

Hi ,

have you seen that alpha track from frontier design ?

I also have a Shuttle Pro v2 I use it mainly for screen-set switching

Could you also control the protools mixer with an axiom keyboard ?
Old 10-06-2009, 03:47 PM

Post Re: Command 8 versus Mackie Control

alpha track from frontier design looks interesting... do you use it yourself ? until now I use my command 8, the shuttle pro to the right and the bluetooth mouse to the left of the command 8. these 3 items instead of using my mac keyboard...
Old 10-22-2009, 02:23 AM

Default Re: Command 8 versus Mackie Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_the_manic View Post
alpha track from frontier design looks interesting... do you use it yourself ?
Nope I am just trying to find out which is the right for me.

The Alphatrack uses a kind of HUI Protocoll.

Wonder how good this work.