Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2009, 04:30 PM

Default Re: "hanging" applications when mbox 2 plugged in

Not only did cs3 NOT fix the problem, it's made coreaudiod even LESS stable then it was before (I've got to hand it to Digidesign, I didn't think it was even possible to make it less stable).

Last edited by MI Audio Guy; 06-08-2009 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Misspelled "stable"
Old 06-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Audio Guy View Post
Not only did cs3 NOT fix the problem, it's made coreaudiod even LESS stable then it was before (I've got to hand it to Digidesign, I didn't think it was even possible to make it less stable).
Can you be more specific? Which model Mac? Which Digi hardware? Have you done any troubleshooting, such as some of the suggestions posted earlier in this thread (copied here)?

Quit out of all open applications.

Trash the following preference files:

1. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.apple.systempreferences.plist (delete this file)
2. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist (delete this file)
3. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.digidesign.CoreAudioManager.plist (delete this file)
4. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > ByHost > com.apple.systempreferences.xxxxxxxxxxxx.plist (delete this file)

Empty the trash, restart and let me know if it's working or not.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Audio Guy View Post
Same here, the first CoreAudio client that I opened crashed (iTunes), then Safari, then Skype...

On a Macbook, Mac OS X 10.5.6, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM + MBox 2.

I'm gonna trash the preferences like DigiTechSupt said, and give it a time, then I'll post the results here.

Thanks for the update anyway, it shows us that Digi cares about its customers. And thanks to DigiTechSupt for being helpful as usual.

Regards
Old 06-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Avid

If you have the Digidesign Core Audio driver in your HAL folder and you're never going to use a 002 or 003 on your system, try removing it from the HAL folder, trash those prefs, restart and test again.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:47 PM

Yep, I just had another crash about 10 minutes after I trashed the prefs and restarted the machine, when trying to open YouTube. The first video played fine, the second one freezed right on the beginning (probably when CoreAudio was accessed).

It seems to me like a random thing, after X times you access CoreAudio (by playing different songs on iTunes or viewing different videos on YouTube), CoreAudio freezes. Like MI Audio Guy said, the crashes appear to be happening faster now. It's crashing by the second or third time I try to use CoreAudio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
If you have the Digidesign Core Audio driver in your HAL folder and you're never going to use a 002 or 003 on your system, try removing it from the HAL folder, trash those prefs, restart and test again.
I guess I'm about to throw a lame question, but what is the HAL folder? I'll try that when I figure out what it is

Another thing that's bothering me is that the Digi CoreAudio Manager doesn't recognize my hardware. It says "Unsupported Device / Not Connected (HW not found)". When I click "Connect", it changes to "Unsupported Device / Not Connected (HW in use)". Funny thing, I turned the computer off and unplugged the MBox 2, restarted and the exact same messages appears on the CoreAudio Manager.

Maybe there's something related to that (SW/HW interaction not quite there yet)?

Thanks
Old 06-08-2009, 08:36 PM

I'm downloading this CS3 now. We'll see if we can go from 15 crashes a day down to 10. Then maybe we'll make progress with CS4.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:42 PM

I DLed it installed it repaired permissions and went straight for youtube, so far so good, over an hour and not a hiccup, however my probles usually begin when computer sleeps, though they are random. I'll keep monitoring this new setup see what it does or doesn't do.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
We've just posted 8.0cs3, which includes the fix mentioned in my previous post.

We strongly encourage anyone with an Mbox 2 series device and Pro Tools 8 to upgrade to cs3.
So, no fix for Protools 7.4 / Tiger ??
Old 06-09-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb123 View Post
So, no fix for Protools 7.4 / Tiger ??

Its not officially compatible is it? Therefore there wouldn't be a fixed released.

I may be wrong.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:46 AM

Thumbs down Re: "hanging" applications when mbox 2 plugged in

Last night I watched "Home" on youtube, all was well for about half hour maybe three quarters of an hour, then the dreaded rice crispies started again and I had to go to preferences switch to internal auidio out and back to mbox to reset it. I'm very disappointed. I'll see how it goes today with some bounces I have to do.