Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2007, 07:15 PM

Default Import Session Data Question

I am trying to get the "Import Session Data" feature to work for me. Here is what I am trying to do. I have 15 identical sessions (created using "stationary pad") that are now all recorded and ready to mix. Now, when I am ready to start the mix process I would like to be able to do the first mix from scratch, applying all the mix settings and processing (plugins, panning, send levels, fader levels, etc.) I need and be able to import that data from the first mix session into all of my other 14 sessions without having to re-create all of those original mix settings again in each of the next 14 sessions. Of course I don't need the audio regions to import, but in LE you have no choice, so you can just tell PT to import them at some point way down the timemline. Also I do not need to import all of these tracks from the first session because the channels already exist in the remainig 14 session. I only want to import the plugins and possibly other mixer setting such as fader positions, panning, sends, etc. How on earth do I do this. I can't seem to figure it out. Does anyone know what I am missing? Please let me know if I am not explaining this very well.

Thanks,

Torchlight
Old 04-22-2007, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Import Session Data Question

Ok, maybe I am missing something here but why do you need ANY identical sessions? Make one and do what you want with it. If you must have 14 other copies get one right and keep using SAVE AS until you have 14 more with different names.

What is "Stationary Pad?"
Old 04-22-2007, 07:51 PM

Yeah, I agree with Jim, why 14 other copies? Save as or just hold option, then click and drag. It will make a complete extra copy of everything.
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 04-22-2007, 09:17 PM

Hi guys:

I guess that I have not made myself clear. Sorry. Let me try again. These identical sessions are only identical as far as the initial setup is concerned. Of course the audio recorded in each of the sessions is completely different. Stationary Pad is like a template that you can create when you will be using the same exact setup including inputs/outputs for each instrument, mic, and preamp that you will be using. Stationary Pad is a huge timesaver when you are going to be recording a large band for instance, with drums, bass, guitars, vox, etc. and you don't want to have to recreate the initial setup each time you start a new song (PT Session). That is exactly what Stationary Pad is used for. I use this feature all the time and I love it. Digidesign developed this feature especially for this task. So, you can see that "Save As" is not the answer, and my question has nothing to do with Stationary Pad. It has to do with Importing Session Data from a pre-existing session for use in another session. It's a bit more complicated than just using Save As because you are trying to marry one session with the mix settings of another. I am talking about applying mix settings, based on session #1, to each of the other 14 sessions (which each have totally unique audio recorded because they are in fact each different songs). Does this make more sense?

Torchlight
Old 04-22-2007, 09:21 PM

Yes that makes more sense. Out of my realm, sorry. I asked an import question once something like that - I needed to import the fader automation and all the details and someone told me I could only get that done if I buy the DV Toolkit from Digidesign.

Good luck.

Where do you get Stationary Pad?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:49 PM

Yeah Torchlight, Casey's right, you need DV Toolkit 2 to import that session data, sorry.

DV Toolkit 2 Guide

filosofem
Old 04-22-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah Torchlight, Casey's right, you need DV Toolkit 2 to import that session data, sorry.

DV Toolkit 2 Guide

Ah yes, it was you who told me that!

filosofem
Old 04-23-2007, 06:05 AM

yeah, that does make more sense now. Sorry.

I didn't think Digi developed stationary pad. Its been under properties in Mac OS for years. We used to create templates that way in OS 9. We'd check stat pad and locked so we couldn't save over them. It got weird in OS X though becuase once you locked it, you couldn't do anything with it (even move it).
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 04-23-2007, 09:06 AM

Thanks Guys! I know that Import Session Data is available to LE users. Just look under the far left pull down (under file I think) and you will find it. So, it's there. I just don't know if I can get it to do what I want. You guys are talking about the DV Toolkit giving you that flexibility? Maybe I will have to look into it. I appreciate the feedback.

Based on the question about Stationary Pad, I have taken a moment to write up the following.

Stationary Pad works very well in PT LE. Actually the way I access it is by using the "Finder", not Pro Tools. Here is what I do:

1. Setup a PT session that you want to make into a template (stationary pad). Include all the inputs, outputs, plugins, panning, etc. that you want to be in the template, but DO NOT make your first recording in this session.
2. Save and Close the session.
3. Get out of ProTools and open the Mac OSX Finder by simply clicking on the directories (folders) until you locate the folder disignated to be your stationary pad.
4. Expand the folder and single click (highlight) the PT session icon but do not launch the session.
5. Click "Command" + "I" so that the information window opens up.
6. In this window you will see the executable "Stationary Pad" with a check box next to it. I think it's about halfway down in that window.
7. Put a check mark in the box to make this session a stationary pad. You also have the option of locking it too.
8. Now close this window and the OSX Finder.
9. Launch PT and open the session you have just set to be a stationary pad.
10. Now when it opens there will be a prompt that comes up. It will ask you if your want to (a) Edit the Stationary Pad, or (b) Create a New Session based on the stationary pad.
11. To open a new session based on the stationary pad simply click "New Session". It will prompt you for the location to save the new session, so make sure that you locate it where you want it.
12. Now you will have opened up your new session based on the stationary pad's attributes and you can begin to record knowing that all inputs and outputs are already assigned, and that all other mixer settings are intact. From now on anything you do to this new session will not affect the original stationary pad, so the pad is preserved for the next session you create.

Stationairy Pad is a wonderful thing! Please let me know if I need to elaborate on any of the steps.

Thanks,

Torchlight
Old 04-23-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I know that Import Session Data is available to LE users. Just look under the far left pull down (under file I think) and you will find it. So, it's there. I just don't know if I can get it to do what I want. You guys are talking about the DV Toolkit giving you that flexibility?
Yes, the enhanced Import Session Data features with DV Toolkit 2 are listed in that link I posted.

filosofem