Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2002, 06:18 PM

Default Using the "Pencil Tool" question

Hi DUC,

I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to use the Pencil Tool for removing a click/pop. I have zoomed to the single line waveform level and selected the Pencil Tool.. What next..? When I left click on the wave line nothing happens..? Is there possibly a preference setting somewhere to enable/disable waveform editing..? Should a "node" pop up (like when drawing automation) that I then drag up/down/left/right..?

This is my first attempt at using this tool and thus far I am not having any luck.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts coming my way [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2002, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Using the "Pencil Tool" question

Here is what I do to draw out a click.

1. Make sure you are in "Waveform" view on the track. And, for that matter make sure the track is not locked (possibly resize track to large or jumbo)
2. Zoom in to sample level or the next one up
3. Select pencil tool (make sure you are using the default pencil tool, and not one of the "shape" pencils tools)
4. Look at the wave form before and after the click. Then "draw" (click and drag) from the point before the click to the point after the click. Basically, make it look like what it would look like if the click would not have been there at all. (duh)

I hope this helps you out. If not post again and we will get you sorted out.

BCBud
Old 10-10-2002, 08:21 PM

Thanks BCBud for your reply, however I am still unable to make the edit following your directions. Is there possibly a setting that makes the waveform un-editable..? Maybe the "lock" you mentioned..? Where do I find if the waveform has been "locked"..?

Thanks again BCBud, I am sure we can figure this out [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2002, 09:16 PM

Okay, I found the "lock region" command and the regions are not locked. There must be something else that I am overlooking, a preference somwhere perhaps..?

I can zoom to the sample level, select the pencil tool and click and drag on the sample line but nothing happens, no changes of any kind occur, it is just like moving the mouse around without left clicking at all [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

On page 263 in the manual the steps are pretty clear what to do, but still no results, I wonder if I have a corrupt pencil tool for waveform editing..?

The pencil tool works for drawing in volume automation however.

Thanks for any help forthcoming [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]