Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2002, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Best System for PTLE for under $1000.00

Bump for whomever it was I referred to this thread earlier - sorry, the name escapes me at the moment...

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 04-30-2002, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe:

Second point - you'll probably need a few 80 pin cables for the hard disk drives and CD-RW drive. Each drive should be on the END of its own seperate cable, with the C drive hooked up to Promise IDE Primary and the D drive to Promise IDE Secondary... hook the CD-RW up to the standard mobo IDE Primary, and if you have a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM, hook that up to the standard mobo IDE Secondary... IOW, you may need up to four cables, but you'll need at least three.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Unles things have changed since I worked in support, you only need 80 pin cables for ata/udma 66 or faster devices (hard drives). Cdroms don't qualify. If you have 80 pin cables laying around, use them....why not. If you're thinking of buying them, they are like $15 each and best buy and well not worth it.
Old 04-30-2002, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by executivos:
[/qb]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Unles things have changed since I worked in support, you only need 80 pin cables for ata/udma 66 or faster devices (hard drives). Cdroms don't qualify. If you have 80 pin cables laying around, use them....why not. If you're thinking of buying them, they are like $15 each and best buy and well not worth it.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Around $7 at PC Club here in Riverside CA.

You're probably right though about the CD-RW drives - I do know you want the 80 pin cables for use with the Promise ATA 100 controller card or onboard Promise controller. So he'd want at least two - one dedicated for each hard disk.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 04-30-2002, 03:54 AM

every ata/100/133 motherboard i ever bought came with at least one 80 pin cable. problem solved....
Old 04-30-2002, 11:45 AM

But you really SHOULD use two - stick the C drive on the end of one and plug it into the Promise controller's Primary, and the D drive at the end of the second 80 pin cable and plug it into the Promise controller's Secondary. You CAN share if you want to (ie - two drives on a single cable) but it's not going to perform quite as well....

Old 04-30-2002, 01:53 PM

Allen,
As you know, I've checked in with you from time to time by email to ask you your opinions on this and that as I was getting my new PC together. And although I elected to get a few different parts than are listed here (because I had a little extra to spend), I had an eye on this topic, and it really helped.
But, the main thing I want to say, is thank you. Every time I've ever emailed you for advice, you were as helpful as you could possibly be, never seeking to profit by it. So, I just want to say thanks.

You're a good man in my book. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Roy Howell
Old 05-02-2002, 05:06 PM

Bump for Demitri
Old 05-02-2002, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roy Howell:
Allen,
As you know, I've checked in with you from time to time by email to ask you your opinions on this and that as I was getting my new PC together. And although I elected to get a few different parts than are listed here (because I had a little extra to spend), I had an eye on this topic, and it really helped.
But, the main thing I want to say, is thank you. Every time I've ever emailed you for advice, you were as helpful as you could possibly be, never seeking to profit by it. So, I just want to say thanks.

You're a good man in my book. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Roy Howell
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks Roy,
It feels good to take some time off from the DUC and finally get some music created. I appreciate the complements as always.
Allen [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-10-2002, 08:06 PM

Hi Allen thanks for starting this topic. By the way what's the advantages in having a video card that will give you dual monitors? Can each one perform separately?

Also I am going to follow your advice and go with this setup, make any adjustments and I will wait for answers before I go on with it since you guys know so much. I am just a beginner in Pro Tools and computer music in general. I do my recordings mostly at Church.

Motherboard : Asus A7V266-E
CPU Athlon XP 2000
Ram: 512 DDR
Video: ATI All-In-One 8500
(newest model)
Currently, I am using Asus P4T, Intel P4 with 1.5Ghz and at times will drive me crazy and I don't know whether some drivers causing it or what.

Also is there any recommendation for a SOUND MODULE besides the Digidesign Samplecell? I wish they can come out with something like the Sound Module in Cakewalk SONAR. You don't need a Keyboard or any outside gear to play your Midi.

One thing I am more concerned after going through various postings is the IRQ #9 which is supposed to be assigned to Digi 001.

Is there anyway if by default during the installation of the software, Digi 001 is assigned a different IRQ #, can I chanage it mannually? If it's possible then I think that will be great.

Thanks guys and keep on with the dialogue.

E-Mail: [email protected]
Old 05-11-2002, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen Hallada:
Stick with the IBM 60GXP series and avoid the IBM 75GXP series and the new Seagate drives.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Avoid the new Seagate drives?? Your'e really going to have to come up with some VERY good reasoning to support this one dude!!!

On another matter. No-one ever did get around to testing one of the N-Force based boards did they?? I't would be interesting to see the results, (when ram occupies slots 1+3) on an N-Force based board.

Targon