Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2024, 12:56 PM

Default Re: MacOS Sonoma

macOS 14.3 is out. I can confirm no show stoppers. PT 2023.12.1 boots and plays sessions on my laptop. It is not my main machine so I can't comment on the known issues.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 01-23-2024, 06:22 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmatthews View Post
Very angry today. I restarted my 2019 Macbook (macOS Monterey) just to get a good reset for the day. When it was booting, it seemed to hang. So I booted into Recovery Mode and ran First Aid just to be sure. Restarted and same thing. So I unplugged everything and did the same thing. I did a manual Shut Down instead of a Restart.

Now, I have purposely avoided upgrading the OS, and I had automatic updates OFF. But when the startup was still lagging...I let it go. When it finally came up, I now had Sonoma. Now, if I was wise, I would have had Time Machine setup and just reverted back, but it wasn't until recently that I got a dedicated drive for that and hadn't set it up yet.

So here I am...with Sonoma, by force, dealing with weird/slow UI issues. My only options are wait for AVID, or erase my drive, put all my data back on and install ALL my software again...and I'm not doing all that.
Hi ash....

It might be a good idea to just reinstall Pro Tools now that the OS updated. In some circumstances that has improved the sluggishness of the system as you are installing on top.

what PT version are you on BTW?

Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com
Old 01-23-2024, 06:41 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
macOS 14.3 is out. I can confirm no show stoppers. PT 2023.12.1 boots and plays sessions on my laptop. It is not my main machine so I can't comment on the known issues.
Thanks for the insight! Testings are on going, but no ETA on the release yet.

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 01-23-2024, 10:46 AM

Apple forced my Mac Pro to Sonoma and now PT crashes when opening most of my existing sessions. It happens when Restoring Tracks. Is there a crash log or any way of knowing what is causing the problem - so that I can perhaps disable a plug-in or something? This is a really BAD Apple.
Follow-up: I see that updated versions are available for both Mac OS and PT - will install those and check behavior.

I installed Mac OS 14.3 and PT 2023.12.1 and am experiencing the same problem - PT crashes and disappears on existing sessions.

RESOLVED: Via plug-in trial-and-error I discovered that the Superior Drummer plug-in was causing Pro Tools to crash.
RESOLVED: Updating the SD plug-in eliminated the crash, now Pro Tools is opening existing sessions.

Last edited by paulschwotzer; 01-24-2024 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-23-2024, 11:30 AM

Avid "no ETA" means "we are planning a 2024.03 release but cannot promise anything in advance".
Old 01-23-2024, 03:36 PM

The 14.3 update didn't introduce any surprises here either.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianna View Post
Hi ash....

It might be a good idea to just reinstall Pro Tools now that the OS updated. In some circumstances that has improved the sluggishness of the system as you are installing on top.

Marianna
I'm PT 2023.9 and macOS 14.2.1

I see that I have a PT update in Avid Link available - v2023.12.1 - but I didn't want to update without knowing if it would help, harm, or have no change.

Do you have a recommendation?
Old 01-24-2024, 10:57 AM

macOS 14.3 is out now. I have been breta testing and it is good.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianna View Post
Hi ash....

Marianna
Marianna: THANKS!!!!

I was hopeless but re installed latest ProTools after the MacOS update and voilà! Some, most, of the sluggishness ir gone!

I'm quite happy.

Thanks again and have a GREAT week and weekend!

PS: The quicksearch you can do clicking on an insert and typing fast afterwards is still lagging a little bit (I use it a lot). But in the meantime I can live with that.
Old 01-25-2024, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoman View Post
Marianna: THANKS!!!!

I was hopeless but re installed latest ProTools after the MacOS update and voilà! Some, most, of the sluggishness ir gone!

I'm quite happy.

Thanks again and have a GREAT week and weekend!

PS: The quicksearch you can do clicking on an insert and typing fast afterwards is still lagging a little bit (I use it a lot). But in the meantime I can live with that.
Do you think I'd have the same improvement by updating PT? (rather than reinstalling)