How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2023, 11:48 AM

Default Steven Slate VSX Headphones with Pro Tools

Hey All!

Got the VSX headphones recently and I am testing them out, trying to figure out how to incorporate them into my workflow. Is anyone using the systemwide version? I'm on Windows 10 but any users who might be using this on other OS feel free to chime in if you are using VSX.

I'm using an RME UFX+ so I think I am missing something with the Totalmix routing that might be interfering with systemwide working properly.

As far as using within PT, it sounds fantastic. I wish that I could run audio through VSX while auditioning in the Workspace in Pro Tools. Is there a way to do this?

Cheers,
Andrew

Macbook Pro Retina / 2.8GHZ / 512GB SSD / PT 2023.9
Old 12-31-2023, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Steven Slate VSX Headphones with Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard View Post
I wish that I could run audio through VSX while auditioning in the Workspace in Pro Tools. Is there a way to do this?
Hi, I just got VSX for Christmas though I haven't had much time to work with it yet. I would think the Systemwide plugin would allow you to hear Workspace auditions thru VSX?

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 12-31-2023, 05:49 PM

Good question -- I'm not sure. I've always used VSX with PT (never systemwide) but I don't think I ever used it while I was auditioning sounds via workspace. My guess is that, since master fader plugins aren't included in the auditioning path, that you'd not be able to use VSX with workspace.

Do you need VSX in workspace? Maybe you're auditioning different mixes and comparing? I suppose that would come in handy in some situations.
Old 12-31-2023, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard View Post
Hey All!

Got the VSX headphones recently and I am testing them out, trying to figure out how to incorporate them into my workflow. Is anyone using the systemwide version? I'm on Windows 10 but any users who might be using this on other OS feel free to chime in if you are using VSX.

I'm using an RME UFX+ so I think I am missing something with the Totalmix routing that might be interfering with systemwide working properly.

As far as using within PT, it sounds fantastic. I wish that I could run audio through VSX while auditioning in the Workspace in Pro Tools. Is there a way to do this?

Cheers,
Andrew
In the Ouputs of the IO Setup, set your audition output to the same path that the VSX is using to hear the Workspace previews. Page 62 of the manual.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 01-07-2024, 07:54 PM

I’m using an Apollo X8 here and found a killer workflow with calibration software.
My master bus is an AUX so it has sends on it. I set the output to a “Dead” bus (doesn’t go anywhere). I then setup 3 sends on the master AUX (1-Mains, 2-Cue 1, 3-Cue 2). I then create 3 master faders and put Sonarworks on 2 of them and VSX on the 3rd (because I’m using Sonarworks as my speaker calibration and have another set of headphones that have the individual calibration, and the 3rd just for VSX). Assign the outputs of the master faders to their respective outputs for the plugins!
For the Apollo I then need to change the headphones to listen for Cue1 and Cue2 instead of what’s going to the mix output but I then have 3 separate outputs for listening thru plus when I go to bounce, I just print out of the Dead bus since there’s no calibration on that bus.