Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2015, 10:45 AM

Default M-Audio Fast Track Pro driver problem on Windows 8.1

Hi,

I am experiencing several different issues with my M-Audio Fast Track Pro interface on Windows 8.1. I am using 64 bit Windows, driver version is 6.1.10. As far as I know, this is the most recent version.

The audio interface works best in ASIO mode. I am using it with Ableton's Live, but I intend to use it for regular music playback as well. It is hooked up to two audio outputs: one jack-based to monitors, one RCA-based to computer speakers. However, after most sessions with Ableton's Live, non-ASIO sound used to stop working altogether, until I reinstalled the driver. Rebooting didn't help; I really had to uninstall and reinstall the driver. I did this countless number of times. I had to create myself a new user account to get this sorted out. The issue didn't happen on a fresh new account, and that also sorted out other problems I had with Metro applications.

After I solved that initial issue, sound sometimes started to play with incorrect frequency. When that happens (intermittently, without any direct cause), I have to power off/power on the interface, disconnect/reconnect, change USB port, etc., until it works correctly again. Plugging USB ports at the back of the computer is quite inconvenient. I end up having to try one direction, the other, the original direction again, etc. Having to do this repeatedly because of a bug is quite annoying. The problem seems to happen only when playing through regular Windows audio or DirectSound, no issue with ASIO, at least for now. I thus cannot use the interface anymore except for music creation in Live. I would have liked to use it to listen to music as well.

Even if I restrict my use to Ableton's Live, after each session with the program, shutting down Windows hangs at "Windows is shutting down" prompt or at a blank screen after shutdown. If I wait long enough, the machine reboots and freezes, then I get alarming error message from my motherboard about the anti-surge protection that triggers. That PC works well under Ubuntu, I could even use the audio interface successfully for playback without issues and I don't have anti-surge warnings if I leave this audio interface off, so I would like to avoid trying swapping power supply and motherboard just for nothing.

Did anybody experience similar issues? My friend, who sold me that interface, was running it under Windows 7 with less issues, but he was experiencing the audio frequency problem from time to time, so the hardware might be flaky in the end. But I got no issue of this kind under Ubuntu.

I just don't want to downgrade to Windows 7, because this is a too lengthy process unless I simplify my setup to the strict minimum, meaning no graphic card, no program of any kind, etc. Moreover, since I upgraded from 7 to 8 legally, I may have issues reusing my original Windows 7 serial number. The downgraded Windows 7 may just not activate.

If I really have to downgrade, I am considering the possibility of dropping Windows altogether and switching to Mac. I know Ableton's Live works on Mac OS X and I just saw that there is a M-Audio driver for OS X. Does anybody have positive experience with the Fast Track Pro on Mac OS X 10.10? I would be quite disappointed if I take the plunge and end up with a brand new MacBook Pro suffering from the same or other issues with the audio interface.

Thanks for any clue.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:29 AM

Default Re: M-Audio Fast Track Pro driver problem on Windows 8.1

When you have installed the drivers for asio4all and also the drivers for the fast track pro, did you download a fresh copy of the drivers before that?

Also please do follow all the steps in the Help Us Help You - READ THIS BEFORE POSTING at the top of the forum, and also include a Sandra report, thanks.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-18-2015, 07:34 AM

I tried to reinstall this driver countless number of times. I checked several times I have the most recent driver, redownloaded it a couple of times, no changes. I didn't have ASIO4ALL installed initially, but I added it at some point to test something. I removed it and that made no difference. I also tested on another Windows 8 machine, which never got ASIO4ALL: same issue. I checked that I have the most recent version of Live 9.1. So everything is up to date and I'm still getting the issue.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:17 AM

I would recommend not using the FTP as your Windows audio device. ASIO clients hate it when Windows plays back a sound in the middle of use. I get around this by connecting the SPDIF out of my audio interface to the SPDIF in on my PC sound card and pass all audio through it.

Beyond that, be sure you go through the Optimization Guide, specifically the part about disabling any power saving features.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM