Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2009, 12:07 PM

Default Tube preamp signal chain

I tired to get these questions answers by searching the forum, I have learned a lot but still have these questions...

I am 003 user with digimax D8 connected via adat. What started as hobby that I thought my current rig would support is sucking me into wanting better gear as a result I am looking at tube pres.

1) For those tube preamps that do not have a digital out do I simply put the preamp in-line after the mic with a 1/4" out to the 003 DI input?

2) If yes to number 1, the less expensive pres like the ART Digital MPA and dbx 386 have digital out - if I went that route am I defeating the purpose of going analog with a silky tube tone by using the S/PDIF digital out?

3) If yes to number one I assume I will not need a clock to sync with the pre because I am going straight auido out of the pre to audio in of the 003?

4) Will my life be better with a unit that has a digital out and ability to sync with a clock?

Last question...

5) Now for a subjective opinion - I have not read anything bad about the MPA and I like the price. I see how one always wants better gear the more experience you gain. Will there be a noticeable and maybe remarkable difference (in sound quality) between a lower end unit like the MPA and say one I am calling a mid-range pre like the Summit Audio 2BA-221? To give you a look at the bigger picture - I am also looking at a pair of AKG 214C's (can't quite justify the 414) and or a pair of Avantone CV-28's (tube mics w/side address to be used primarily as drum overheads) to pair up with the tube pres.

Thanks for all you guys do - I truly appreciate the wealth of experience you expose this novice to.

Scot
Old 02-18-2009, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Tube preamp signal chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by slienke View Post
I am 003 user with digimax D8 connected via adat. What started as hobby that I thought my current rig would support is sucking me into wanting better gear as a result I am looking at tube pres.
This is normal...

Quote:
1) For those tube preamps that do not have a digital out do I simply put the preamp in-line after the mic with a 1/4" out to the 003 DI input?
Use the 003's Line In

Quote:
2) If yes to number 1, the less expensive pres like the ART Digital MPA and dbx 386 have digital out - if I went that route am I defeating the purpose of going analog with a silky tube tone by using the S/PDIF digital out?
This doesn't affect the tube tone, as it is "produced" in the tube of the preamp. It doesn't matter if the D/A conversion takes place before the signal goes to your 003 or in there.

Quote:
3) If yes to number one I assume I will not need a clock to sync with the pre because I am going straight auido out of the pre to audio in of the 003?
Right!

Quote:
4) Will my life be better with a unit that has a digital out and ability to sync with a clock?
Not necessarily.

Quote:
5) Now for a subjective opinion - I have not read anything bad about the MPA and I like the price. I see how one always wants better gear the more experience you gain. Will there be a noticeable and maybe remarkable difference (in sound quality) between a lower end unit like the MPA and say one I am calling a mid-range pre like the Summit Audio 2BA-221? To give you a look at the bigger picture - I am also looking at a pair of AKG 214C's (can't quite justify the 414) and or a pair of Avantone CV-28's (tube mics w/side address to be used primarily as drum overheads) to pair up with the tube pres.
There should be a difference, but it depends on your taste. I think, this you need to try for yourself to find out
Old 02-18-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
By using an external preamp with digital outs, you are replacing the digi pres and the digi A/D converters.
By using an external preamp with no digital outs, you are replacing the digi pres but still using the digi A/D converters (which nobody seems to love).
A high quality analog only preamp will probably give you a more noticeable increase in sound "quality" than a lowball preamp with digital outs... Very subjective stuff, here....

Quote:
you likely won't need a clock until you have multiple digital devices that all need to be sync'd. A single digital output pre should sync without problems to the 003, no external clock needed.

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, all this stuff has a very steep diminishing returns curve:

$500 external pre = 20% "quality" improvement
$1000 external pre = 25% "quality" improvement
$3000 external pre = 28 % "quality" improvement, plus a different "mojo"
$1000 external A/D converter = 5% "quality" improvement
$5000 external A/D converter = 10% "quality" improvement, plus a certain "sound"

Quote:
Browse the forums a bit at Gearslutz. Lots of this kind of debate over there..

One thing to keep in mind is that recognizable, higher quality gear (like the Summit you mention) will keep it's resale value better if you decide to trade up at a later date..
Old 02-18-2009, 10:41 PM

Thanks guys - your responses were just what I was looking for!

Scot
Old 02-19-2009, 03:04 AM

+1 for Summit Gear...
PT 2019 and 10.14
UA Apollo Quad
Outboard:
2 x Summit Audio 2BA-221>TLA 50>EQF-100
2 x dbx 165a
x Shadow Hills GAMA
http://humpbackmedia.net[/SIZE]
Old 02-19-2009, 08:27 AM

+2 for Summit.
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 02-19-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post

As far as I'm concerned, all this stuff has a very steep diminishing returns curve:

$500 external pre = 20% "quality" improvement
$1000 external pre = 25% "quality" improvement
$3000 external pre = 28 % "quality" improvement, plus a different "mojo"
$1000 external A/D converter = 5% "quality" improvement
$5000 external A/D converter = 10% "quality" improvement, plus a certain "sound"

Fascinating!

Could you please explain what testing procedure you used to be able to quantify a 3% quality improvement?
Old 02-19-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragged Edge View Post
Fascinating!

Could you please explain what testing procedure you used to be able to quantify a 3% quality improvement?
Help me on this one also.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-19-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragged Edge View Post
Fascinating!

Give me a break.. it is meant as a possible example only. That is why the words quality, mojo, sound are in quotes... Go argue on Gearslutz if you are looking for that type of discussion