Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2006, 08:43 PM

Default What\'s the largest drive i can put inside my G5?

Can't seem to find this info anywhere online. I've got a Dual G5 2.7 GHz PowerMac with the 2 SATA bays inside. Anybody know what is the largest hard drive that the machine can use? Right now I've got the original 250GB and a second 400GB, but I'm seeing there are some 500 and 750GB drives out there for reasonable prices -- it'd be great to throw a 750GB (or 2) in there.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:06 AM

Default Re: What\'s the largest drive i can put inside my G5?

I have a 500 gig SATA 2 drive as my internal drive (to replace my original 200 gig) and I have been looking at the new 750's. BTW, one benefit of the newer drive was more performance.

(I'm thinking the 750 could house a few boot partitions and an audio partition for huge sessions. To use both internal drives for audio I am planning to boot from an external fw drive. Most of the time one internawould be fine.)

I'd suggest calling a reliable vendor (I use expercom.com, call and ask for Greg Ellis) to get the fine details.

Best...H
Old 11-17-2006, 07:54 AM

Default Re: What\'s the largest drive i can put inside my G5?

Thanks for the advice. I did call a few vendors and the concensus seems to be that there's no limit on the size of the drive you can put in these machines -- multiple terabytes should be fine even. Good news.