How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2012, 01:53 AM

Default Software to organize (metadata) my sound libraries

Hi,

I'm a ProTools 10-Digi 002R user, and as many of us do, I have a large database of sounds, mainly in .wav, .gig and .nki formats.

I'm looking for a program that allows me:

- listen to a sample (using my midi keyboard trough digi 002 rack)
- create metadata info - like what sounds go with a song, characteristics of a sample, etc
- export the sample (for wav), into protools

I've been investigating Basehead PC 3.x, I need something like that but not only with audio samples, but with virtual instruments too.

How you guys do these things? it's an everyday-one hundred times issue that I want to resolve,

Thanks
Old 09-09-2012, 06:23 AM

Default Re: Software to organize (metadata) my sound libraries

OK, nobody answers, it's normal.

I'll ask in another way. How do you know what sounds or banks of sound did you use in a song? Or certain combination of sounds you like to configure some drums? and how do you add information to one sample sound - like "soft ambient piano" so you can recover that info later?

I'd like to conserve the information of sounds, combinations of sounds I use in a session: certain drum components, synths, etc, and add info to my files so it's easier to find them later.

May be simply an xml editor, where I can create a "tree" or metadata where I can include the information of each session/song (files used, instruments used, other info), but I would like to have one program where I can listen to the samples too, not to open Protools and kontakt.

The idea is navigating the files in my pc and listen to samples, adding info to each file, and creating info of a group of files (like samples of a certain song).

Any idea will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-23-2012, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Software to organize (metadata) my sound libraries

Don't know if this will be the answer to everything you want but it goes a long way, and it's already within Pro Tools:
It's a great article in Sound On Sound "Learn how to use Pro Tools’ Digibase Browsers and all your audio files will be at your fingertips."

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep1...es/pt-0912.htm