Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2021, 10:55 AM

Default Eucon problems

EDIT: Fixed it. Had to uninstall everything, search for any and all EUCON related files, delete them all and reinstall.

I can't get Eucon to work on M1 Max but others have it working, so I wondered how to troubleshoot this.

I have 2021.12 installed, and previously had 2021.10. Same problem with both.

I have Eucon 2021.10.1.29 installed, which seems to be the latest.

If I launch Eucon it hangs and says "EUCON network connection not found. Disable external workstations if you do not use them either from EUCON preferences or from the workstations tab in EuControl
If you require external workstations, make sure the correct Network interface is selected in the EUCON preference pane in System Preferences."
I get the option to Restart EUCON or Quit. Restarting gets me the same message again.
When I try to launch the EUCON preference panel, I get "Could not launch EUCON Preferences preference pane". The only option is "OK".
So, I can't fix it from either of those locations. I've reinstalled a number of times with identical results. I've tried Monterey 12.0.1 and now on 12.1RC

Any idea how to proceed?

Thanks

Dominic

Last edited by dominicperry; 12-08-2021 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:33 AM

Default Re: Eucon problems

Hi Dominic,

I am not sure how your system is configured, but my experience with M1/Monterey and EuCon has been the absolute best performing iteration I have experienced - in 15yrs.

Could you share how your system is setup - ie network ports on your machine ( must be a USB-S hub of some sort ) etc? Did you set this machine ups fresh or did you use Apples migration tools?
Old 12-09-2021, 05:16 AM

Well, as per my edit, it's working now.

This is a completely new machine (MBP 16" M1 Max 10coreCPU/32coreGPU/64GB/2TB), set up from new, no Apple Migration Assistant, I installed everything, applications and data, from scratch. For some reason EUCON didn't work, but now it does....

Performance of PT and EUCON seems ok but I'm always bothered by how slowly both of them launch. The CPU idles, the disk idles, and yet it takes 20-30 seconds to get the thing running. I've no idea why, other than some terrible/old coding.

I'm using an iPad with EUCON, so that's working over WiFi.
I'm using Carbon via the Avid-recommended double-dongle....USB-C/TB3 to TB2 -> TB2 to Gbit Ethernet. That works fine. I don't have anything else on that port. In fact, I'm out of ports - one runs my big monitor, one runs my USB-A hub and the other runs my Carbon.

Dominic
Old 12-09-2021, 04:07 PM

Great to hear you are making progress...

I hear you with regards to the launching of EuCon. Not knowing too much under the hood, I do know its essentially a suite of driver's / daemon's that rely upon networking and as such are usually beholden to the state of the network. I suspect that the foibles and voodoo of TCP/IP is the cause of much of our pain and that a new version of the UI App of EuCon showing us metrics and networking details would go some way to helping us understand the causes of the waiting.

One thing to consider is getting yourself a trusted USB-C hub / dock to provide you with some additional ports. Whilst the USB-C connector is pretty good, the fact that it is able to transport different protocols, and each need differing cables is often a cause of frustration. I finally bit the bullet and bought a CalDigit T3S. I am not saying that this will remediate your EuCon challenges, but it does start to rule out some areas of potential problems. The phrase "double-dongle" causes me to snigger