Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2022, 03:07 AM

Default Group global settings - save as default?

I've tried searching for a definitive solution to this question with no luck.

I'd like to set my global group preferences in a certain way, and have those preferences be the default for any new groups I create. Seems simple, but apparently not. There's nothing in PT Preferences that I can see.

Yes, I can save a group attributes preset, but that requires going in and changing it... every... single...time.

Anyone else frustrated or (even better) found a solution for this?

Thanks,

Myles

System 2: 2021 M1 Mini 16Gb, OS 13.6, Native 2023.9, MH ULN-8 4d

http://www.mylescochran.com
Old 03-24-2022, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Group global settings - save as default?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooold View Post
...Anyone else frustrated or (even better) found a solution for this?
Yes, I find the Group attributes management a bit maddening - FWIW, once I've saved a global group attributes setting, sessions started from scratch seem to open with that setting, so it seems like that at least is 'sticky', no? If I open a session coming in from elsewhere then of course the group attributes follow the session so then I need to check them and reset to my prefs. What doesn't stick is presets in the group attributes window, meaning I have to reset them to my prefs every time (preset for a group that follows auxes, preset for a group that includes auxes and all plugin slots, etc). If group attribute presets came in on an "import session data" then at least there would be a solution there but they don't. Starting from a template does work.

I keep meaning to try and program a Soundflow macro to set all this the way I want it on sessions I receive from the outside world, but...time.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 03-24-2022, 07:19 AM

After reading your post I had to open PT to verify since mine seems to behave the way you want it to. Tried loading from a template and without my template and got the same results. When I make a new group, the checkboxes for attributes and global start out with the checkboxes the way I set them which matches my main template that I initially made like 5-6 years ago. Maybe try saving it the way you like in a template, then start a fresh session without the template and see if it uses your last used settings.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Yes, I find the Group attributes management a bit maddening - FWIW, once I've saved a global group attributes setting, sessions started from scratch seem to open with that setting, so it seems like that at least is 'sticky', no? If I open a session coming in from elsewhere then of course the group attributes follow the session so then I need to check them and reset to my prefs. What doesn't stick is presets in the group attributes window, meaning I have to reset them to my prefs every time (preset for a group that follows auxes, preset for a group that includes auxes and all plugin slots, etc). If group attribute presets came in on an "import session data" then at least there would be a solution there but they don't. Starting from a template does work.

I keep meaning to try and program a Soundflow macro to set all this the way I want it on sessions I receive from the outside world, but...time.
Thanks, Rich. As you say, it definitely works from a template - I'm just trying to figure out a way to avoid the unpredictability of varying Global preferences (attributes, really) from session to session.

Myles

System 2: 2021 M1 Mini 16Gb, OS 13.6, Native 2023.9, MH ULN-8 4d

http://www.mylescochran.com