Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2013, 01:05 AM

Default What is the best way to attack this?

Hello, all!

So, I've got this project, and there are a few things I'm wondering how to deal with. I'll outline them, and let me know what your 'first method of attack' is.

No B-roll practically. Some phase shift in the scene, but most can be fixed.
Only about 15-20secs of RT per scene (mostly just pre-roll), usually with coughing and footsteps in it.
Lavs are *very* noisy (which I'm pretty used to), but there are TONS of bumps, scrapes, etc.
Boom track is usually pretty good (thank God), but sometimes an actor is very muffled, pretty much non-existent, but the lav has so much noise, it's really hard to checkerboard it without affecting the dialog. The noise floor is VERY high on these lav tracks. It was outdoors in a noisy forest. Damn crickets!

I've taken the ~20 second RT clips, and de-noised them with RX3A (Got an airplane out of one of the really needed RT clips). Should I just loop it as fill, and try to denoise whatever I can out of the DX tracks where the RT shifts? I don't have Cedar (yet), and RX's Denoiser is certainly WAY better than WNS/NS1, but nowhere near DNS One. Trying to find a best-case approach before I go willy-nilly doing crazy edits and such.

Obviously this isn't a HUGE budget project, but I really do want to make as many dents in the audio as I can. It really is a spectacular Indie film, and I think it has a pretty bright future ahead of it. The picture is UNBELIEVABLE on this film.

Thanks, dudes!
Old 10-24-2013, 07:33 AM

Default Re: What is the best way to attack this?

u will have to suck it an see as to which noise reduction works best.

there's no experience like experience. so u will have to go at it and be prepared to redo..

there are a few tricks for crap RT - the old forward backwards turns your 1 sec into 2 secs etc.. here in Hong Kong all sets are noisy and no one records room tone almost ever.

I found that sometimes a cut between different RT is on a transient as opposed to a fade is less offensive. that works for volume changes too

good luck - you can always try an subcontract the odd scene if you are having trouble
Old 10-25-2013, 03:27 AM

Default Re: What is the best way to attack this?

Hahaha, definitely not in the budget to sub... lol

Thanks, I figured I had the right idea. Now, to get to work. Hahaha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk