Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2009, 08:36 AM

Default Waves V-Series - worth it?

I'm looking to add to my Waves Gold TDM package, and the V-series looks interesting. Is it worth the dough?

Alec
Old 05-13-2009, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Waves V-Series - worth it?

YES !!

I was a big Waves-hater, but these are right on the money.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamixaled View Post
I'm looking to add to my Waves Gold TDM package, and the V-series looks interesting. Is it worth the dough?

Alec
They are definitely character plugins! they add some color to the sound. the VEQ4 is great, i use it lots on electric guitar it has a kind of punchy tone. i use the compressor on all my incoming aux tracks when recording drums, i have a preset called "live tracker" it only slightly compresses if the signal gets a bit hot. i also have the compressor on the mix bus when mixing band material, called "vintage toner" again it only slightly compresses when the level get hot.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:25 AM

Great Plugs.. Worth it.. THe API are great also. G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 05-13-2009, 10:58 AM

I recommend them too. They're my go-to plugs for many scenarios. True, they clearly have character, but the Gold bundle covers your other bases, so this isn't a problem.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:06 PM

They are indeed very good. I’ll add to what others have already said… consider adding the API, JJP and SSL bundles. They all rock and will give you a wide world of options. If getting all of them is an option, you might as well go and move up to a full-blown Mercury bundle, which includes all of the above (and then some), with the exception of the SSL bundle.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 05-13-2009, 07:25 PM

Studio Classics Bundle has the V Series, The SSL and the API bundles. The V Series are often the first thing I grab. Highly recommended bundle of plugs.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-14-2009, 12:09 AM

I use the V series Compressor as well as 4 and 3 band EQ quite often. If you have the money to spend, you won't be sorry. I do have to admit, these V Series plugins have helped me hone a better "sound" out of my mix. I just feel like I can craft things a little more, then I can with the stock Digi stuff. It's probably minor, but I enjoy it. The V series EQs are the only EQ that Waves makes, that I have enjoyed using. Most of the other Waves options I have, just sit there. These V's are a go to for me on ctirical EQing or tone shape related EQing. I would not use them all over the place. Just where you want something a little special. I might have 2 to 6 EQs, and maybe 2 or 3 comps on a 30+ track mix. Not a whole lot, but just enough to give it a little love.

Another thing I enjoy, as long as it's used with caution. Both the Comp and the EQ have a button or dial for Analog simulation. I do like to use both the EQ and Compressor on my master fader from time to time, when Mastering. And both of these plugs can add a nice warm, more vintage tone, with the Analog feature engaged. Its subtle, but nice. Within reason, of course.

All in all, I do consider the V Series plugins an important part of my mixing toolbox. I could live without them, but if I had to pick which plugins would go first. The V Series would be close to last... along with all the Waves Renaissance stuff.

Hope that helps a little.

Nick
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs