Old 12-22-2017, 03:18 AM

Default Re: 003 Family only supported up through Pro Tools 12.7.1

We are still using both 003 rack and controller for PT 12.8.1 , no issue

Sent from my SM-G5308W using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2017, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrosGls View Post
This is the problem VRW, now I had replace laso my laptop.. there is no Thunderbolt on it or USB 3.0
Here in Hungary, Apple products are the most expensive in Europe...
So even for a 2016 laptop I have to pay 2.300 Euro and if I do that then I cannot build my studio..
I'm sorry to hear that but finally you do not necessarily need Thunderbolt or USB 3 to get professionally useable audio quality.

Look at this guy there.
https://global.focusrite.com/usb-aud...scarlett-18i20

It´s proven to work well with Pro Tools 12, the Gen 2 models of the Scarlett line are fantastic value for the price and you even
would get similar I/Os like with your 003 incl Word Clock. With much better sound quality and recent technology inside though.

With the Gen 2 models of the Scarlett line you can go down to 64 samples quite easily even with many tracks in your sessions
although its "just" USB 2.

So if your current Laptop can handle Pro Tools basically, the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 would be a great still affordable option for
a new audio interface where you would not miss anything from your old 003 but gain even better sound quality.

In Budapest there you can find a good pro audio store where you could buy this stuff if you would be interested. Just scroll down
a bit to see the exact address of their hungarian store.
https://www.friendlyhouse.at/de/shops

https://www.friendlyhouse.at/de/stud...0-2nd-gen.html

Just as an option of course.

If you would be interested to buy such a Scarlett interface make sure you get the Generation 2 model, not the older one. With the
Gen 2 model you will be satisfied for a long time for sure.

Yeah, even if you would buy the Scarlett now and upgrade your computer to a more powerful, more current one later once you get
the financial capabilities, this audio interface will not disappointed you in the future even its "only" USB 2. High quality for the price.
And used by thousands of small to middle sized professional recording facilities nowadays.

As mentioned by others already, upgrade your memory to 16GB at least. It´s just that PT12 uses disk cache now and 16GB Ram will
give you a decent PT performance if the processor of your Laptop handle PT basically. I would not go with less than 16GB for PT12.8.

So the best of success to you and check it all out.

Cheers.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
What the ???
003 Family only supported up through Pro Tools 12.7.1

Now I have to sell it

So the Digi 003 Rack its not working with PT 12.8.3 or they didn't test it?

Thank you in advance!

---------------------------------------------------------
Last Updated : June 30, 2017
Products Affected : Pro_Tools, Pro_Tools_HD

Important Note: If you are upgrading to Pro Tools 12, please download and install the latest drivers for your hardware from the following page:

Driver Downloads and Updates (avid.com/drivers)
Pro Tools Audio Devices, Interfaces, Peripherals and Control Surfaces

Officially Supported

Non-HD Audio Devices
Pro Tools | Quartet
Pro Tools | Duet
003**
003 Rack**
003 Rack+**
Mbox (3rd gen)
Mbox Mini (3rd gen)
Mbox Pro (3rd gen)
Eleven Rack
Fast Track Duo
Fast Track Solo
Fast Track C600
Fast Track C400
S3/S3L systems
SC48 *
FOH Rack with FWx option card *
Mix Rack with FWx option card *
* SC48 and FWx option card not currently supported with Windows 8 / 8.1
** 003 Family only supported up through Pro Tools 12.7.1
I am running PT 12.8.3 with my 003+rack with no problems. Only issue I'm having is my APC battery back is constantly beeping due to the power useage.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:56 PM

My 003 Console still works with 12.8.3, using both Yosemite and Sierra on my 2009 Mac Pro, which is uprated to 2010 firmware and 2x six-core 3.46ghz processors with 64gb ram. Haven't tried installing High Sierra yet.

'Not Supported' means they no longer test that it is still working. So there are no guarantees how long it will continue to work. One day something will stop it from working and they won't fix it. But for now still working.

I don't often use the audio interface part of my 003, I only use that when I need a small all in one mobile rig, typically using it with my MacBook Pro. But I still use the MIDI i/o and control surface features all the time.

One very useful feature of the 003 console currently on Macs (don't know if this works on Windows) using the latest driver is that ...

If you switch to a different playback engine to use a different audio interface, Pro Tools first insists on closing the session and then reloading it.
BUT ...
When the session reloads, you have the new selected audio interface i/o active .... and the control surface features of the 003 (faders, knobs, buttons) ALSO remain active.

This works for both of the other interfaces I have attached ... my UAD Apollo Quad firewire and my MOTU PCI-e card with 2x 24i/o and 1x 2408mk3 attached.

It's my normal mode of operation now ... I use the Apollo or MOTU interfaces depending on what I'm recording, and use the MIDI and control surface features of the 003. I also have 2x MIDISport 8x8s and 2x MIDISport 4x4 MIDI interfaces connected to control all my MIDI hardware.

I am dreading the day when I can no longer get my 003 and MIDISport interfaces running, seeing as there are going to be no more driver updates. This will be what sets my stepping off point for OS and DAW updates, as I guess any advantages from updating will be outweighed by the loss of muscle memory gained using the 003 and the cost of buying stuff to give 24 MIDI i/o.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 12-29-2017, 07:12 PM

Not exactly the same, but consider multi-boot or vm multiple OS from the same workstation when you get to "the edge", so that you could still retain backwards compatibility with your current setup, based upon which task you want to focus on.

That way, a lot of your installs are seeing the same CPU/NIC hardware identifiers and dongles, drives, etc stay in place as well.

Also good for testing "upgrades" LOL!
Old 12-30-2017, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latweek View Post
Not exactly the same, but consider multi-boot or vm multiple OS from the same workstation when you get to "the edge", so that you could still retain backwards compatibility with your current setup, based upon which task you want to focus on.

That way, a lot of your installs are seeing the same CPU/NIC hardware identifiers and dongles, drives, etc stay in place as well.

Also good for testing "upgrades" LOL!
Yeah, I know, but its such a pain ;-)

I actually have Leopard, Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion, Yosemite and Sierra boot partitions, as well as WinXP and Win7 via bootcamp installs to give me access to different stuff that gets lost in later OS. For example, aksys, which lets my mac talk to my Akai S5000 doesn't work after Snow Leopard.

But going back and forth rebooting is such a pain that eventually I picked up a well speced G5 Mac very cheaply, which I run Leopard on and use to manipulate my S5000, and run other old software such as cdxtract that lets me convert akai sample cds into Kontakt format. It also manages my entire backup regime, as I still use 6 Netgear 2-drive NAS enclosures for which, again, snow leopard is the last OS that the control software works on.

I still can't quite bring myself to delete the older mac OSes, you never know when you might need them, eg if I want to install another WinXP partition then its easiest using the version of Bootcamp that comes with Snow Leopard. Later versions only allow install of Win7 or later. I still need to create a valid Bootcamp partition first even if then using winclone to restore a winxp boot drive backup rather than using Bootcamp to manage the install.

What I do though is always to keep my latest stable os (currently sierra) a clean boot partition that only has my pro audio hardware drivers and software on it. At the same time, I may be testing a newer os, as i am about to do with high sierra, that also only has pro audio related stuff on it. When I need to do something not pro audio related, I boot into the next earlier os (currently yosemite) for accessing the internet, using other software, etc. This is the OS I install all my general software on.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 12-30-2017, 06:00 AM

I'm running AVID Pro Tools 12.8.3 with the Digidesign 003 Console perfectly fine. Not one single problem.

Main:
Model: Dell 5750 Precision Workstation
CPU:*Intel Core Processor i7-10750H (6 Core, 12MB Cache, 2.60 GHz to 5.00 GHz,
Memory:64GB, 2X32GB,DDR4 2933Mhz Non-ECC
OS M.2 512GB PCIe NVMe, Record Intel 1TB SSD, 2T SSD, 1TB SSD
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen
AVID Pro Tools 2023.12
JBL LSR4328P 8"
JBL LSR310S 10 inch Powered Studio Subwoofer*
Yamaha HS50M Studio Monitors
Alesis Elevate 3 Studio Monitors
M-Audio Axiom 61 Midi Controller
Old 12-30-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I can understand TNM and you are right!
Also for Apple I don't know what to say.. they became like Microsoft!
New OS with bugs every year as Avid!
I was thinking to buy as iMac but for 2.300 euros I can buy only an i5 with 8GB of ram.
So maybe I should build a PC with the half of the money with i7 since Win 10 is working much better than 7?
If it's that difficult to get a Mac, then maybe you can go for a PC. I don't think an i5 with 8GB will take you very far. If you can stretch and build an i7 6-core PC with at least 16GB, that would serve you very well. It would be cheaper than buying a ready-made PC. With freeze and commit, you could even squeeze through with an i7 quad-core and 16GB. It all depends on the way you work and what you do.

Just do your research well and get components that are tried and tested to work well with each other. If you don't want to build, you'll need to find out what has worked well for others.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:41 AM

Guys thank you all for your replies!!!