Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2013, 03:56 PM

Default Re: AVID Must DO Something for AAX DSP

Avid did one better than not porting all the AIR plugins you are asking about, they sold off AIR to InMusic. Part of the issue there may have been Avid having too plugins that compete with others in an already crowded space. So now you have somebody besides Avid to ask for AAX plans for many of these plugins. http://www.airmusictech.com
Old 02-16-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFLZ View Post
I'm wondering if GRM Tools will get on the AAX DSP path. Even though their plugs look and function the same as they did when I first used them 13 years ago, I still find them incredibly useful. SoundToys as well -- no DSP from them is one of my major factors in holding off. I'm happy to see Sonnox starting to release AAX DSP versions -- I haven't looked recently, is Altiverb ready yet?

You know what would be amazing - if iZotope would make Insight and Ozone as a DSP based plug. The latency incurred from those plugs is pretty substantial.

I, like a lot of others here, couldn't care less about Waves. Their authorization system has always been clunky and wanna demo a new plug when you happen to have an older version of a bundle - forget about it. It'll F up your whole Waves world. I gave up years ago. I'd say SoundToys may have been the company that filled the void for me.
I just checked with iZotope late last week. They have not decided to support AAX-DSP and didn't sound very optimistic. Given how long its been and the fact that they've released most of theirs in Native at this point, it seems pretty unlikely. Melodyne hasn't even decided to support Native yet and I've never been able to get a straight answer from Antares or SoundToys. Given how long its been, I wouldn't bet on it. As I said in my last post, Avid sold us HDX on the premise that the switch to AAX-Native was almost trivial (you can still check out many of their release presentations and discussions on YouTube). And once there was a Native version it was almost automatic to get to DSP from there. Obviously none of that was true. I've spent some time interacting with Waves (yeah, they're a very weird company but I for one depend on them a lot) and they tell me that they told Avid way before HDX was released that there were substantial problems with their approach and they foresaw major problems. I doubt anyone at Avid was surprised Waves dumped them. Of course when I bought HDX, I talked directly to Avid's Southern California Rep, David Casey who practically laughed in my face (he was literally insulting) when I told him I was hearing it was just possible Waves might not support AAX-DSP. He said the very idea was "ridiculous". Ten thousand dollars later now - Thanks David!!
Old 02-16-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Avid did one better than not porting all the AIR plugins you are asking about, they sold off AIR to InMusic. Part of the issue there may have been Avid having too plugins that compete with others in an already crowded space. So now you have somebody besides Avid to ask for AAX plans for many of these plugins. http://www.airmusictech.com
Thanks Darryl - I didn't know that. I guess that could be good news/ bad news. Clearly, Avid had no intention of porting them despite what they said and maybe InMusic will!! On the other hand, one could have tried hard to hope Avid would eventually keep their promise but InMusic probably hasn't promised anything so if its as difficult to do as it now appears, we're gonna be SOL....

Thanks again for the info!
Old 02-16-2013, 04:19 PM

I talked to InMusic at the Namm show and they plan to port the Air plug-ins to AAX. It's to be determined what will become AAX DSP since most of their plugins were not TDM.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus5 View Post
NO, THEY'RE NOT!!

- Extra Long Delay
- Long Delay
- Medium Delay
- Mini Grand
- Short Delay
- Slap Delay
- several other "Bomb Factory" plugins
Most if not all of these delays have been ported to AAX and are now under the MOD DELAY III plugin. Most of the old bomb factory plug-ins have been ported and the compressors are AAX DSP.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlone View Post
Most if not all of these delays have been ported to AAX and are now under the MOD DELAY III plugin. Most of the old bomb factory plug-ins have been ported and the compressors are AAX DSP.
Hi carlone, thanks for the info. It doesn't look to me like the MOD DELAY III plug does the same things those plugs do but I'll check again.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlone View Post
I talked to InMusic at the Namm show and they plan to port the Air plug-ins to AAX. It's to be determined what will become AAX DSP since most of their plugins were not TDM.
... and thanks for this info as well. At least Native is something but with the scarcity of DSP, I hope they support it with at least some choice examples. It seems to me that one up side to Waves dumping Avid is it leaves a pretty big space for all their competition to fill. We'll see if they do.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:03 PM

I think the question posed by the OP should be rephrased.... Avid HAS to to do something about HDX before the format flounders. It's not looking good. I surveyed dozens of top UK studios the other day and only ONE had "upgraded" to HDX.... Sales are poor.... period. I could find ONE HDX1/Omni bundle in stock at a UK dealer and it has NOTHING to do with supply versus demand. No-one is stocking it because no-one is buying it. HDX has done NOTHING in Japan....It's a dead horse there.

No wonder Waves isn't supporting the format. Too much work for too little return. In other words, it doubts the format will take off so the expense of porting all its plug-ins doesn't make sense...Waves is well aware how many HDX cards have been sold and it's saying talk to the wallet because the programers ain't listening......

Avid.... you REALLY need to turn this around....
Old 02-16-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
I think the question posed by the OP should be rephrased.... Avid HAS to to do something about HDX before the format flounders. It's not looking good. I surveyed dozens of top UK studios the other day and only ONE had "upgraded" to HDX.... Sales are poor.... period. I could find ONE HDX1/Omni bundle in stock at a UK dealer and it has NOTHING to do with supply verses demand. No-one is stocking it because no-one is buying it. HDX has done NOTHING in Japan....It's a dead horse there.

No wonder Waves isn't supporting the format. Too much work for too little return. In other words, it doubts the format will take off so the expense of porting all its plug-ins doesn't make sense...Waves is well aware how many HDX cards have been sold and it's saying talk to the wallet because the programers ain't listening......

Avid.... you REALLY need to turn this around....
Of course, pretty much everyone in the community would agree with you (except perhaps the odd-outs who seem to stalk you - very weird...). Anyway, I had a tangential/depressing thought about this when the announcement that Louis Hernandez had been made CEO came out. At first I was very encouraged and impressed that Avid seemed to have actually DONE something significant to turn things around as you say. But reading on, it turns out he's right from the very same board of directors that stood back and watched "previous management" ride the company (and its stock - and its customers) right into the ground over the last few years. Then I read him make a point of mentioning by name in glowing words, Chris Gahagan the SVP of Products and Services who butchered the PT10 rollout and is directly responsible for God knows how much of all of this. I would have bet anything he would have been the absolute first person to go at Avid - like the day they got BACK from the conference last Thanksgiving??? It seems to me they absolutely, positively still DO NOT GET what is going on. At all. And my feeling of encouragement just turned to yet another Avid disappointment.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus5 View Post
Of course, pretty much everyone in the community would agree with you (except perhaps the odd-outs who seem to stalk you - very weird...). Anyway, I had a tangential/depressing thought about this when the announcement that Louis Hernandez had been made CEO came out. At first I was very encouraged and impressed that Avid seemed to have actually DONE something significant to turn things around as you say. But reading on, it turns out he's right from the very same board of directors that stood back and watched "previous management" ride the company (and its stock - and its customers) right into the ground over the last few years. Then I read him make a point of mentioning by name in glowing words, Chris Gahagan the SVP of Products and Services who butchered the PT10 rollout and is directly responsible for God knows how much of all of this. I would have bet anything he would have been the absolute first person to go at Avid - like the day they got BACK from the conference last Thanksgiving??? It seems to me they absolutely, positively still DO NOT GET what is going on. At all. And my feeling of encouragement just turned to yet another Avid disappointment.
Indeed. The switch around in the boardroom is as depressing as it is pointless. I posted about it here:
http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2007106&postcount=8

I'm glad someone had noticed the stalking thing!!!!!

Once again.... PLEASE Avid.....get you **** together. You are SO lucky Apple screwed up with FCP and are ridiulousy lucky Apple has been so tardy with Logic Pro 10.... I don't trust a company that rides it's luck....