Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2011, 08:08 AM

Default Eucon stealing my mouse with KVM switch?

Hi All,
I just upgraded / Downgraded from a pro control to a artist. Not sure how I feel about it yet. One really headache for me is KVM switching between my two computers. When I switch back to the eucon computer, my mouse doesn't work. Anyone else see this or k ow what's going on here?
Thanks
Old 03-17-2012, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Eucon stealing my mouse with KVM switch?

Does the same to me. Windows 7 64 with Logitec mouse. I have MC Control. FWIW, I also have a Wacom Intous connected directly to the computer (not via KVM) and it remains active all the time.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
Hi All,
I just upgraded / Downgraded from a pro control to a artist. Not sure how I feel about it yet. One really headache for me is KVM switching between my two computers. When I switch back to the eucon computer, my mouse doesn't work. Anyone else see this or k ow what's going on here?
Thanks
It's been reported again and again over the last few years but no response from Euphonix/Avid yet.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:36 PM

Same issue here.

I have two PCs: my Pro Tools-dedicated PC (which does not see internet activity nor other non-music production related applications) and my internet/office PC (from which I am now typing). They share a video display monitor, wireless Logitech keyboard, and a wireless Logitech mouse via an IOGear KVM DVI+USB switch.

When I switch from the PT PC to the office PC and then back to the PT PC, the mouse is frozen. The keyboard works. I have tried various mice: different brands, wireless and wired. As has been reported previously, the remedy is to Ctrl+Shift+Esc to access Task Manager and kill (use the delete key) the process eucontrol.exe. Upon doing this, mouse control is restored. Then I can re-run eucontrol.exe and all is well ... until the next time I switch.

It is not a show stopper, but it is quite disappointing that this is happening with a relatively high end piece of gear and apparently has not been fixed in well over a year.

I have ordered a Connect Pro KVM switch, but I am not sure it will resolve this issue. If it does, I shall report back.

It would be nice to get an acknowledgement of this issue from Avid, and even better to hear that it is being addressed for a subsequent Eucon update.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:00 AM

Hey there.

Changing the KVM switch will not resolve the issue. This is a EuControl bug that affects Windows machines (it works fine for Mac).

Keep bugging Avid for an update is about the only solution....
Old 12-18-2012, 07:49 PM

What you can do is exit the eucon apps or remove them from startup. This allows the mouse to work. Once logged into the workstation you want start the eucon crap. I am dealing with the same situation sort of here using remote desktop connection...Log/In out (Ctr+Alt+End in remote session)

www.WenzMastering.com
Old 12-21-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_coffee View Post
Hey there.

Changing the KVM switch will not resolve the issue. This is a EuControl bug that affects Windows machines (it works fine for Mac).

Keep bugging Avid for an update is about the only solution....
The new KVM switch arrived and I am happy to report that I no longer have the issue I mentioned. To be specific, I can change the focus back and forth between my PT10 PC with Eucon running and my internet/office PC and I do not lose control of the mouse upon switching back to the PT PC. No more need for the Task Manager workaround.

This does not address the problem for those not using KVM switches, but in my case the problem is solved.

Details if anyone is interested:

ConnectPro UD-12+ USB/DVI KVM switch with DDM technology
Logitech K360 wireless keyboard and Anywhere MX wireless mouse (both connected via a single Logitech unifying receiver)
Logitech Setpoint setpoint651_x64.exe
Logitech Unifying unifying210.exe

The single unifying receiver is plugged into an extension USB cable which is in turn connected to the keyboard USB port on the KVM switch. I don't know if it matters, but nothing is connected to the mouse port on the KVM switch. The switching is fast and the programmable buttons on my mouse work in Pro Tools. Initially I had to use a spare wired keyboard to launch the Unifying software and get it to recognize my wireless devices. After that, I unplugged the wired keyboard and all is working as it should.

The rest of my system is in my sig.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:23 PM

[QUOTE=DAWgEAR;1990922]

The single unifying receiver is plugged into an extension USB cable which is in turn connected to the keyboard USB port on the KVM switch. I don't know if it matters, but nothing is connected to the mouse port on the KVM switch. The switching is fast and the programmable buttons on my mouse work in Pro Tools. Initially I had to use a spare wired keyboard to launch the Unifying software and get it to recognize my wireless devices. After that, I unplugged the wired keyboard and all is working as it should.

The rest of my system is in my sig.[/QUOTE

When you switch from one pc to the other, does the pc know the keyboard is disconnected? On windows if you have windows sounds on, our computer will chime whenever you disconnect a keyboard and mouse.
Thanks
Old 12-22-2012, 07:37 AM

Brandon,

There is no indication from Windows sounds that I am switching on my office/internet PC. On the PT PC, I have system sounds disabled.

Apparently the "DDM technology" that the ConnectPro KVM switches use goes beyond the traditional way of emulating the presence of the keyboard and mouse. Various people mentioned this brand at the Logitech forum and that was what initially piqued my interest.

As someone else mentioned above, I was not sure that this new switch would address my issue with Eucon, but even if it did not, I was interested in replacing my previous IOGear switch. This was due to the fact that (i) I experienced delays when switching, (ii) I could not get the Logitech programmable keys/buttons to work (wired or wireless devices) correctly unless I plugged the devices into a USB port other than those specifically dedicated to mouse and keyboard. Finally, (iii) as a result of not being able to use the dedicated mouse and keyboard USB ports, I was not able to use hotkey switching. I bought the Artist Control last week and the Eucon issue was the final straw for me.

I do not understand the technical details, but the excerpt below is from the ConnectPro site. All I know is that I am much happier with the performance of this switch!

From ConnectPro website:

Quote:
USB DDM
Almost all traditional high-end KVM switches are built based on keyboard and mouse emulation technologies to communicate systems connectivity with a KVM switch. However, since the keyboard and mouse signals and their working patents are only “simulated/emulated”, it is impossible to have a “super” emulator cover all types of I/O devices. As a result, KVM switch users suffer inconsistent performance and compatibility problems with connected I/O devices.
With ConnectPRO’s patented DDM (Dynamic Device Mapping) Technology, the communication between shared devices and connected systems is maintained 100% of the time even when switching the shared devices from the controlled systems.
This prevents interruptions in communication between shared devices and connected systems/computers, and reduces wait time when switching KVM ports. As a result, when switching ports there is no more lag time while the computer has to re-recognize the connected devices. DDM technology along with another patented dual-core KVM distribution switching technology has become the most reliable and robust KVM switch core technology in the world
Old 12-23-2012, 09:58 PM

Just for [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]s and grins I tried my gefen dual dvi KVM switch with eucon. Mouse doesn't work. Shoot. It's a 400 dollar KVM. Hope this gets fixed soon. For now I just switch mouse and keyboard with eucon and the screen with the KVM. Super convoluted but it works.