Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2011, 04:49 PM

Thumbs down The 11R tuner

Is anybody having as much problem with the tuner as I am? No matter what guitar I use, it's all over the place and never really settles down. I would like to use it, but I'm using my TC Polytune pedal with the 11R.

AVID (if you're reading).....please update the tuner.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:53 PM

Default Re: The 11R tuner

i agree it's not the best tuner, but i have seen worse. i can actually get it to work enough to get by with, but i would not want to use it to set guitar intonation.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:04 PM

Mmm I've been pretty impressed with the tuner. Several strats with noiseless pickups (Fender and DeMarzio noiseless)and a strat with a hotter texas pickup all tune great. Are you going straight into the Eleven Rack? Volume up?

Darryl
Old 07-10-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Mmm I've been pretty impressed with the tuner. Several strats with noiseless pickups (Fender and DeMarzio noiseless)and a strat with a hotter texas pickup all tune great. Are you going straight into the Eleven Rack? Volume up?

Darryl
No problems with the tuner for me either. Are you using top quality guitars & have they been 'setup' properly?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 07-10-2011, 05:32 PM

No problems here either. Actually the tuner on my 11r picks up bass notes better than my buddy's AxeFX Ultra.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:33 PM

It's not great, but I've seen worse.

I do have some advice though; if you want it.

First thing I do if I have a picky tuner is to use the neck pickup and roll the tone all the way back. This makes sure that you have a nice fat fundamental signal going to the tuner and eliminates a lot of the harmonic overtones that can confuse it.

And of course don't thrash on it, you should be getting the most mileage out of the tuner while the note is starting to die out, so nice even plucking without a lot of extraneous vibration which can actually make it appear sharp on the tuner.

And this works on all tuners in my experience. Of course some tuners have better discrimination, I know that my old PitchBlack was nice and the AxeFX had one of the best tuners I've ever used, but the 11R is more than adequate using the neck/tone knob thing.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:25 PM

No problems here either, it's not as good as my trusty Boss tuner but it's certainly good enough for my needs. Here's another neat trick, instead of playing open strings, play a harmonic at the 12th fret - it's much more stable and accurate like that, and I haven't felt the need to use the neck pickup or rolling back the tone knob when doing it like this.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:32 PM

I always roll the tone and volume knobs all the way up and try to pick very clean. I get why rolling treble off makes sense (and should be tried if folks are having problems), I've just don't do it out of habit.

My son has a Boss TU-3 on his pedal board and its a great tuner. Maybe a tad more responsive than the Eleven Rack, but I just don't have any complaints with the 11R.

What pickups/guitars are people having problems with?

Darryl
Old 07-10-2011, 08:20 PM

I think the tuner is very accurate in depicting the fact that none of my guitars will frakin' stay in tune for more than a few minutes of playing. I have allen keys strategically places throughout my house
Old 07-10-2011, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys.

My guitars are all quality and set up. I've used open strings and harmonics....usually on the front pickup on both single coils and humbuckers. It just wavers like a drunk sailor. I've never had any problems with my old BOSS TU-12 (used for 25 years) in the past or my current TC Polytune which works great.

I was (almost) sure others would be having problems as this is the worst tuner I've ever used. I'll have to stick with the TC for now.