Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2012, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Video Sucks!

Unbelievable I now have one of the original save as QT7 movies playing back but as many have said the picture is jumpy and the audio is distorted I have reset audio setting in the session page but no change but I do have video in the video window.
I guess it just takes about 500 restarts of Pro Tool and about as many reboots.
I will try another reboot and another save as movie to see if that makes a difference.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:04 PM

I know that the originally stated problem is on a PC, but I just wanted to let you all know that I've been getting more and more MP4s recently and I have found that I can't successfully convert them in QT 7 Pro. The codec I always work in is ProRes Proxy, and I have to use Compressor to convert any MP4s that I get. I don't know why, but MP4s are just really difficult to work with. It's not just you!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I don't have a way to cut out a section... I have so many codecs on my workstation that show up in QT7 Pro
Perry,
With QT Pro you can do lots of editing, and do exactly what you just said. Quickly cut away parts of a movie you do not need, and "save as" what is left. There are other ways to arrive at the same point but I find it is very fast to mark in/out points (using those little triangles that show up on the play line), cut the marked section to remove it. Once you're done editing, save as choosing to save a new movie, not a reference movie. This will keep the same codec, frame rate, etc as the movie is already, and thus save tons of time during testing and exporting with different codecs, or uploading to Dropbox.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Hoffman View Post
I know that the originally stated problem is on a PC, but I just wanted to let you all know that I've been getting more and more MP4s recently and I have found that I can't successfully convert them in QT 7 Pro. The codec I always work in is ProRes Proxy, and I have to use Compressor to convert any MP4s that I get. I don't know why, but MP4s are just really difficult to work with. It's not just you!
I got a slew of MP4 files that used AVC coding (from Premier) and had a hard time converting them to MJPEG. I think I ended up having to Export them from QuickTime X, then do the MJPEG conversion in QuickTime Pro 7. Luckily, everything remained in sync, but I would be lying if I wasn't a little freaked out during the conversions.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:01 PM

Thanks Nate that makes me feel way better I was beginning to think I was losing my mind. Thanks for you kind response and hopefully things will change and we can use MP4 sure wish I could find a program to convert my DVD collection to a usable file for PT 10 that worked on Windows 7 and was free. I just want to use DVD's I already own and have no intention to distribute them I just need movie length files to test and learn film post with Pro Tools and see the Video image. Maybe someday. I also found out that the program I used to rip the DVD's to MP4's was making them PAL instead of NTSC with 0 frame rate this info of course did not show up in the Movie info in OT 7 Pro. Of course they would not play so I am in search of some free downloadable movies in NTSC that will convert properly in QT 7 Pro. No luck yet. The files I had did not playback on a friends system either so that is how I found out.
Thanks again for you kind words.
Cheers
Old 12-30-2012, 08:18 PM

I've had no trouble converting mp4 within QTPro7. Usually Mac but I also have it on PC with win7 and used it recently there to output a quick lowrez ref, from mp4. Also, imported same mp4 into Media Composer on PC which also relies on QT. Not saying every mp4 will work but so far all good here. Just saying it isn't all bad, and maybe you need to discover a good workflow.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:00 PM

Thanks Guys
I am working on a better workflow I found out the the convertor I was orginally using was making the files PAL not good and thats why they would not play.
My Mistake but that information was not in the files or in the properties about the files
so I was led down the wrong road and did not even know it. I found a convertor that lets me choose Pal or NTSC so since I have choosen NTSC the MP4's play back movement is sometime a little jerky but they playback I am trying other setteing to make Playback smother but all is in sync and that is what matters. So now I have a system that works and it had nothing to do with the computer platform. I need more RAM and am working on that but I recently found out I have Glacoma and Cataracts and need to get new glasses, they won't fix the problem but will be able to see better till I can have surgery.
Thanks again for everyone who has helped me with this. Now I just need steady work so I can afford the tools I need and the surgery I require. Many thanks to all HNY Cheers
Old 01-07-2013, 12:10 PM

Adams Smith - for girls!. I used to like the Audio Kinetics ES 1-11, the builder of which went on to build the most excellent AMS Audiofile MCS - which I still occasionally use still.
What ever happened to the motionworker ? That was a nice bit of kit.

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 01-08-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School Audio Guy View Post
Thanks Guys
I am working on a better workflow I found out the the convertor I was orginally using was making the files PAL not good and thats why they would not play.
My Mistake but that information was not in the files or in the properties about the files
so I was led down the wrong road and did not even know it. I found a convertor that lets me choose Pal or NTSC so since I have choosen NTSC the MP4's play back movement is sometime a little jerky but they playback I am trying other setteing to make Playback smother but all is in sync and that is what matters. So now I have a system that works and it had nothing to do with the computer platform. I need more RAM and am working on that but I recently found out I have Glacoma and Cataracts and need to get new glasses, they won't fix the problem but will be able to see better till I can have surgery.
Thanks again for everyone who has helped me with this. Now I just need steady work so I can afford the tools I need and the surgery I require. Many thanks to all HNY Cheers
What converter gave you problems.

Where are u running you video from?

Not sure why you need to stick with mp4. My guess is that is why it is jerky. Are you using it because the file size is small?
With hard drives Being about $1 a gig, larger file videos shouldn't be an issue.

If you are converting your video, why not just convert to something much less CPU intensive. Photo jpeg works great for me. Avid Dnx as well if you editor is working in media composer.

So why do u need to stay with mp4?