Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2000, 02:48 PM

Default Loud screeching noise I cant get rid of.

I was getting ready to record some vocals last night. I hadnt even launched PT yet and suddenly there was this loud ugly screeching noise coming from my speakers. I immediately went to turn the volume down from my digi box but the noise didnt go way. The only way to get rid of it was to power off my amp. I shut my computer off for a while. When booting it up again I could not beleive my ears when I turned my amp on there it was again. It wont go away. Its either my digi box or digi sound card. It starts 30 seconds after starting my mac. It starts low and then quickly ascends to a very loud screech like a lawn mower from HELL. Has anyone had or heard of this problem before?
my set up is:
mac g4 400
256 ram
atto epci card
cheetah 10 gig drive

HELP!!!!
Old 12-01-2000, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Loud screeching noise I cant get rid of.

JWS,

It sounds like something's wrong, but it may not be the card/computer, because the sound didn't go away by turning down the Digi001. Check all your routing (both hardware and software) and make sure you don't have any electrical feedback loops in any patchbays, etc. The way you described it, that's kind of what it sounds like. Does this happen with any other sound source (mixer, etc.) plugged into your amp? Check to make sure it's not your amp (or the way you've got it wired). It just doesn't seem to be a computer thing to me, but I could be wrong...any more info you can provide? Hardware setup (not in PT, but actual wiring, gear, etc.)? Let us know.

[This message has been edited by Chris Coleman (edited December 01, 2000).]
Old 12-01-2000, 03:54 PM

Hi chris, Thanks for your reply.
Its not my amp because the noise will come out of the headphone jack when my amp is turned of and digi box is is monitor mode. I unhooked my keybaord and power amp from the back of my digi box which are the only things hooked up back there, and the noise prevailed. I dont have any other hardware. I am using PT internal mixer only. I have no patch bays. I have a real simple set up. computer, digi box, Alesis amp, ns10's, AT 4033 mic, Yamaha cd burner, Triton keybaord, and now a loud Jet engine sound coming from another deminsion. I really appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Johnny
Old 12-02-2000, 10:26 AM

Johnny,

I retract all of my comments, you've definitely got a problem there. How long ago did you purchase your Digi001? Sounds like a warranty issue to me. I have to admit I LOL at your setup including a "jet engine sound from another dimension." I hope I never acquire that piece of gear.
Old 12-04-2000, 06:52 AM
Avid

JWS,
If you haven't already done so, please call tech support at 650-842-6699 and get an RA for the Digi001 interface.

Brent
Old 12-04-2000, 01:26 PM

I called and got an RA # this morning. They said its a 48 hour turn around which is pretty cool.
What can I say other than..... **** happens!
Thanks
Johnny
Old 12-05-2000, 07:28 PM

Get a better singer!
Old 12-05-2000, 11:23 PM

I had the exact same thing happen to me. i tried the same fixes and no love. i thought it was the brand new alesis m1's. i returned them and got some ps6 about 3 months ago and haven't had the jet take-off again. i hope i don't need an ra # (what's an ra #?)