Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2010, 10:59 AM

Default click track not sounding on specific session

using an aux track and the click plug in, its not making any sound on one specific session. working on others. any idea why?

i've searched the forums with no luck...

i've tried putting the track in ticks and samples... i've tried showing tempo events and bars/beat markers under the tempo ruler bar... tried with and without conductor track turned on...
Old 03-09-2010, 11:07 AM

Default Re: click track not sounding on specific session

Press the 7 key on the numeric keypad which toggles it on and off.

or

click may be set to only play in record?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:18 AM

it was the 7 key. thank you so much!!!
Old 03-09-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Cook View Post
it was the 7 key. thank you so much!!!
damn those on/off functions

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:46 AM

Bryan,

May I suggest:

NEVER use the click plugin.

You are MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better off making a library of click samples, create tracks with 1-bar grouped regions in tick mode, and then import session data as needed.

A few reasons:

1. timing accuracy. Do you trust the click coming from an rtas plugin? I don't (well, I don't once I discovered that you only get an approximation of the beat from the plug, whereas the sample will always play back exactly when you expect it to (on the beat).

2. flexibility. mute a few measures for a rubato section. instantly make a section into 1/8 note clicks.

3. odd-meters. Work in 6/8 or 5/4 or other meters that will thoroughly confuse the click plugin.

4. timing accuracy.

5. see #1 & #4

I have a session called, "clicks" and within the session I have various 200 bar tracks of assorted clicks. Some with accent on the downbeat, some without. Some are shaker types, some urei/MPC click, etc... all were trimmed to the beat, then assembled into a 1-bar region group, then repeated for 200 bars. Took minutes, one time only.

Did I mention timing accuracy?

Good luck.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:39 PM

Jeremy,
What are you trying to say, really?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:39 PM

Jeremy, you make some good points. However, the click plug-in accuracy when using the TDM version is unquestionable. It's the most consistent click I've seen on any DAW/Sequencer. I never use the RTAS version so I can't speak to that.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyroberts View Post
Bryan,

May I suggest:

NEVER use the click plugin.

You are MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better off making a library of click samples, create tracks with 1-bar grouped regions in tick mode, and then import session data as needed.

A few reasons:

1. timing accuracy. Do you trust the click coming from an rtas plugin? I don't (well, I don't once I discovered that you only get an approximation of the beat from the plug, whereas the sample will always play back exactly when you expect it to (on the beat).

2. flexibility. mute a few measures for a rubato section. instantly make a section into 1/8 note clicks.

3. odd-meters. Work in 6/8 or 5/4 or other meters that will thoroughly confuse the click plugin.

4. timing accuracy.

5. see #1 & #4

I have a session called, "clicks" and within the session I have various 200 bar tracks of assorted clicks. Some with accent on the downbeat, some without. Some are shaker types, some urei/MPC click, etc... all were trimmed to the beat, then assembled into a 1-bar region group, then repeated for 200 bars. Took minutes, one time only.

Did I mention timing accuracy?

Good luck.
very good points. however, when you bring in your one bar samples of click, do you use elastic audio to change tempo. or do you physically re-cut the click and duplicate/loop every time you change tempo? the latter is definitely cumbersome and slower than just having it follow the session. especially when you take into account that when you are duplicating/looping, it gets off every once in a while and you have to pay attention, which isn't hard, but sometimes there are more important things to think about then when does it get a frame off on the duplicating.

i don't see why elastic wouldn't work though.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Cook View Post
very good points. however, when you bring in your one bar samples of click, do you use elastic audio to change tempo. or do you physically re-cut the click and duplicate/loop every time you change tempo? the latter is definitely cumbersome and slower than just having it follow the session. especially when you take into account that when you are duplicating/looping, it gets off every once in a while and you have to pay attention, which isn't hard, but sometimes there are more important things to think about then when does it get a frame off on the duplicating.

i don't see why elastic wouldn't work though.
The way I handle this is my click tracks have regions that are exactly 1 BEAT long, not 1 BAR long. So as said above, I too have a Master Click Session with many many types of clicks and accents, groove loops, different meters, and all named as such, but the regions themselves are never any longer than 1 beat. Each track is in TICK mode.

As I create a new session, I import a click track of choice, and while deciding a tempo for a song, I just type in whatever tempos I want. And as we try 115, 117, 121, etc, the click track will adjust to this since the regions each fall ON the beat grid and will be moved just like midi is moved in Tick mode. No afterthought is needed. Im just used to it always adjusting to ANY tempo changes i make.

If it was a BAR long region lets say, yeah, it would never follow your tempo changes correctly, without using elastic audio. But if you stick to having your click regions on each grid beat, no matter WHAT you do with the tempo, the click track will behave like a midi track - adjusting to tempo changes, retards, meter changes, etc. Especially if you built a tempo map around a piece of music that was not played to a click. You can instantly have a sample accurate click for further overdubs.

Works like a charm!

Plus, it makes for easy region-muting when you dont want the click to play, rather that using automation.

MT
P.S. Long time Bryan! Ill hit you on FB :)
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 03-10-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1m1 View Post
Jeremy, you make some good points. However, the click plug-in accuracy when using the TDM version is unquestionable. It's the most consistent click I've seen on any DAW/Sequencer. I never use the RTAS version so I can't speak to that.
It IS very solid, but nothing will be as ABSOLUTELY, PERFECTLY solid without a hiccup as an audio click track in Tick mode. You can bet your house on a properly set up audio click track. It will never be anything less than 100% sample accurate.

And not to mention, you can be so creative with audio click tracks. Its limitless and can be used as a creative, almost musical, time-keeping-reference rather than a BEEP boop boop boop, BEEP boop boop boop and so on :) Ive found that performers playing to more creative, ' better ' sounding clicks achieve less rigid results in the end, but still of course, on beat.

MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•