Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2001, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Dual-800 Quicksilvers are shipping!

I forgot to ask today! DOH! I'll ask tomorrow. We've got (2) MixPlus3's on the bench with 867 machines and Cinema displays, so that gives me an excuse to go back there again and druel
Old 08-16-2001, 09:16 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>
Brad, How are your techs wiping the drive? Are they just deleting the OSX system folder? Or are they re-formatting, and re-installing the 9.2 OS?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Without knowing your techs I can tell you that they'll be reformatting and reinstalling 9.2..this is the only way to go. I would partition the drive and install the System and Protools on that partition. I wouldn't bother with OSX yet but would suggest installing it on another internal drive just for getting familiar with it's features. I can't wait to be using it full time as it's great.

quote]
Originally posted by Seller:
no duals have shiped as of to day.. at least another week..........[/quote]

Of course they're shipping. I've seen user reviews coming in for the last two days.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>
And while we're on the dual subject.....I've been experimenting with Logic and VST instuments, trying to compose and mix everything in Logic.... With the latest Mac's it is amazing what you can do with EXS24 sampler and Halion, PPG, Waldorf, Absynth etc..... in 2 years from now, all my (7) samplers will be sold! Therefore I think Digi should come up with a VST bridge plugin (give it a name) because these VST instruments are fantastic. Sure Virus and Koblo are OK, but the VST instruments platform moves a lot faster. Just listen to the Ni ABsynth (VST and standalone). Finally a new instrument without piano's, organs, etc...!! When VST meets TDM in PT, I can finally move to the 1 program concept and not jump back and forth everyday between Logic and PT!...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The day Digi supports VST is the day the earth revolves around my dog's...oh never mind..it won't happen in my lifetime. You'll have to be content with Logic's ability to accomodate all hardware and software at the same time. It's more likely that the plugin programmers will add Direct Connect compatibility.

Absynth..one word..amazing. Yes sir there's so much great software out there that it's mind boggling. Truth is they don't make computers powerful enough to really take advantage of this software.

All in all the duals are the way to go despite any conflicts with current software. It's up to them to make their software MP compatible and if they don't they're plain goofy. The future will be in multi cpu machines. Never mind duals or quads for that matter. We need a rack of CPUs to accomodate all the software under one roof and finally be rid of the external hardware. This has nothing to do with my or anyone elses love for external hardware but for anyone wishing for a 'studio in a box' it's essential to have the computer power necessary. I mean even a MIX + System has it's limitations and it has it's own dsp chips. A VST or any native host based audio application is only limited by the computer (excluding those dsp cards now available = VST farm cards) and as such will never be on a par with hardware systems until we have dodecahedral CPUs = Stephen Hawking in a box ;-)

cut to quicktime clip of young man with girlfriend on a beach and we see that they are getting married. He hands the "best man" the camera and he "digitizes" the blessed event. Later we see said young newly wed man editing his video. Only then do we realize that he has..through the power of his immense mainframe computer...completely created this fantasy world around him as a virtual reality populated with beautiful people who love him.

Such is the power of the future when put into the twisted hands of artists....and musicians for that matter. But I digress....sorry for the dream sequence.

So Brad about that formatting again..what was the question

Kevan
Old 08-17-2001, 12:40 AM

I've installed a ProTools TDM on my DP450 last week, and seems to be running fine so far. But I don't remember having to disable one of the CPU or mulit-processor processing.... how would I do it by the way if I need to do it?

The system:
PM 450DP / 256Ram
Adaptac SCSI card
ProToos 24 (3 cards)
SBS 13-slot expansion

I'm looking for a Dual monitor and non-linear video solution at the moment.

Psymon
Old 08-17-2001, 05:26 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by BradLyons:
HAHA Everytime I go up to the main lobby, there is a basket of CANDY there... I go to the warehouse...CANDY...back lobby... CANDY... Everywhere I look there are tootsie rolls and I can't resist tootsie rolls!!! Yeah, this diet is going REAL well!!! haha<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brad,

I always thought that Sweetwater would be a dangerous place to work! Between the candy and the temptation to spend whatever you made on new toys, er, tools for your studio...

FWIW, I've got PT 5.1.1 running just fine and dandy on a certified 733 that has the preinstalled system (i.e. 9.1 & OS X). I haven't booted OS X yet, so perhaps it hasn't had its full effect on the drive, but all is well so far. I was in a hurry and for once it hasn't gotten me in trouble!

-Scott
PT 6.4, OS 10.3.4, Dual 2.0 G5, 4.5 GB RAM, Dual 250G ATA drives
Old 08-18-2001, 04:32 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Psymon:
I've installed a ProTools TDM on my DP450 last week, and seems to be running fine so far. But I don't remember having to disable one of the CPU or mulit-processor processing.... how would I do it by the way if I need to do it?

Psymon
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I run a Dual 450 at work with no problem either. It (-6042 errors) are only an issue (for Me anyway) with the Dual 533.
To disable the second processor you remove the "Apple CPU Plugin" extension from the "Multiprocessors" folder in the extension folder. I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it though.

Tim

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 08-18-2001, 06:07 PM

All seems good with the Dual 800 and PT.. So far no errors at all during my 24 track PT session...and I have BOTH processors turned on on the Dual 800.

I have just a Mix Core card and a SampleCell card...no SCSI card and just using my ATA drive.

So far, I'm rocking...no errors or problems. Oh, and I'm using 9.2.1 (came with the Dual 800).

Keepin my fingers crossed...