Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2024, 11:24 AM

Default 48GB RAM reasonable for M3 Max MacBook Pro?

How future-proof is that configuration likely to be for mixing? Max 100 track rock and pop sessions with master buss chain included. No VI work.

Of course, no one has a crystal ball, but any reason to avoid with the lack of upgradability?

I was going for 64GB but for various reasons, 48GB is the only available option right now...

Thanks!

Last edited by Chevron; 01-02-2024 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-02-2024, 11:51 AM

Default Re: 48GB RAM reasonable for M3 Max MacBook Pro?

We have not a clue what you will be using this for... so how would our opinion help you?

The best starting point is how much memory does your Mac have today? You know things should be OK, at least today, with that much. (working out how much overcapacity you might have is interesting but not trivial... but you have a current upper limit).

Do not assume Apple Silicon will use less memory that Intel based Macs.
Old 01-02-2024, 12:07 PM

Default Re: 48GB RAM reasonable for M3 Max MacBook Pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
How future-proof is that configuration likely to be for mixing? Max 100 track rock and pop sessions with master buss chain included. No VI work.

Of course, no one has a crystal ball, but any reason to avoid with the lack of upgradability?

I was going for 64GB but for various reasons, 48GB is the only available option right now...

Thanks!
I went with 64GB but yes I think for most people it should be sufficient, but bearing in mind what Darryl has said, it is very hard to future gaze without so much info.

You can get 128GB as soon as 48GB, should you need it.
At least you can in the UK.

It is just 64GB configs that are delayed, probably because that is the config that so many people have gone with, so it might be a parts shortage for that RAM chip.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting