Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 08:56 AM

Default Re: SMPTE time code in digital audio signal?

I was hoping that some of the info on this thread would lead to a possible way to maintain a time stamp on audio for video editing in Final Cut Pro HD as I do a lot of music video and would love to be able to just spot it to the video without old fashion syncing techniques.

I am sad to say that I have not been able to get the time stamp (even thought it has been stated that it is embedded into the BWF file type) to be of any use in Final Cut Pro HD. I can get it to work in ProTools both with original time stamp and user time stamp but no luck with Final Cut.

If there are any other tips about this I would love to hear them. I am trying to hold onto a little hope that this is possible.

One other thing is that I read in the answer base that ProTools will now use the .bwf extention but I do not find that to be the case either. Final Cut has no problem importing either .bwf or .wav but no time stamp info on either.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:24 AM

I use a motu micro express to record smpte onto pro tools (convert to mtc) and the people at fotokem can use it for dailies no problem. But they use a fostex dv40. Final cut pro should be able to read .bwf headers no problem. It seems that most machines want a poly bwf with even numbers of trax. By the way TcounterX is a freeware which will allow you see mtc in a smpte format in le without the dv toolkit. Good luck. I'll try to import some of my trax into fcp, this weekend, and I'll let you know.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:29 AM

There is no such extension as .BWF -- the Broadcast WAV File spec FAQ answers that. BWF files should have the extension .WAV

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 03-25-2005, 05:16 AM

If that is the case what does this mean from the answerbase.
Answer Details
What is the difference between a standard WAV file and a Broadcast WAV file?
1. A Broadcast Wave File is a WAVE file with added information (timestamps etc) contained in the header .

2. A standard WAVE file only contains sample rate, bit depth track count and file length in the header.

NOTE:
-Pro Tools (prior to v5.2) exported BWF files with the .WAV extension
-Pro Tools now exports BWF files with the correct .BWF extension

ID:8005 Created:05/06/2002

Here is the link directly to it.

ProTools now exports...
Old 03-25-2005, 09:27 AM

It means it's in error... ignore it. Pro Tools never added the extension .bwf (although at one time the BWF spec were considering using that extension.. but they realized they were wrong).

Previous thread

Rail
Old 03-25-2005, 12:49 PM

It sure would be nice if bad information on the answerbase would get corrected. Not so great to get the wrong answer from something that is designed to give you answers???

Well, anyway back to the original thread. There is no way to time stamp a sound file and import it into Final Cut Pro and maintain the time stamp. Right?
Old 03-25-2005, 03:22 PM

Asked and answered.. if FCP supports BWF then it'll work.. Pro Tools doesn't support AIFF-C. FCP supports XML, so try this app

Rail
Old 03-25-2005, 06:28 PM

I hate to keep beating the dead horse. The person that started this thread and now yours truly would like to time stamp an audio file and import it into Final Cut Pro with the timestamp. BWF files do not work in Final Cut Pro so there is no way to import an audio file into Final Cut Pro and have it retain a time stamp, right?

Am I missing something. BWF does not work so is there another way?
Old 03-25-2005, 08:14 PM

Did you follow the link?

Rail
Old 03-26-2005, 05:59 AM

Yes, followed the link. Interesting info, may be useful someday, not to use with Final Cut Pro.

Same conclusion, no way to time stamp for Final Cut Pro unless they start supporting BWF or other. Unless something else has not been mentioned.