Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2024, 02:53 PM

Default Korg MicroKey 2-37AIR not appearing in Input

I am wanting to use a Korg MicroKey 2-37AIR as MIDI input direct into the Macbook.
- It works with Garageband.
- It appears in Audio MIDI Setup. It makes a beep when I select Test Mode and press a key.
- It appears in Peripherals / MIDI Controllers

- It refuses to show up in the Input section of any track.
- I get: "Pro Tools is unable to communicate with M-Audio keyboard".

- I have tried it in * Bluetooth mode * USB mode (trying each of the 3 USB ports)

=======
Pro Tools Artist 2013.12.1
Macbook M1 Pro
MacOS Sonoma 13.2.1
Old 02-17-2024, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Korg MicroKey 2-37AIR not appearing in Input

G'day

The Korg MicroKey 2-37AIR does not need a MIDI driver so should be relatively easy to get working, and the you already know you can see it and it's working in AMS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorax View Post
I am wanting to use a Korg MicroKey 2-37AIR as MIDI input direct into the Macbook.
- It works with Garageband.
- It appears in Audio MIDI Setup. It makes a beep when I select Test Mode and press a key.
Quote:
- It appears in Peripherals / MIDI Controllers
That's somewhat irrelevant here. MIDI Controllers is talking about MIDI control surfaces like HUI surfaces not MIDI input devices.

Quote:
- It refuses to show up in the Input section of any track.
I doubt it is refusing to do anything, or has many cogent thoughts.

A MIDI input device does not "show up in the Input section of any track." Not if you mean the track I/O selectors used for audio input and output.

If you are working with virtual instruments (VIs) you normally work with an instrument track, and you insert VIs plugins on that track. The MIDI input are seen in the virtual instrument UI, or even better seen in the "instrument" pane of that instrument track (which you need to select to be shown in the mix or edit window track view controller.. it should *always* be shown when working with VIs). Pro Tools is unfortunately not as easy to use as Garage Band with this kind of stuff, and working with VIs and MIDI keyboards is complex enough that just guessing how to do it is not a great way to make fast progress. And even if you do get it to work by stumbling around many folks will miss key concepts that can bite them later.

Quote:
- I get: "Pro Tools is unable to communicate with M-Audio keyboard".
Likely becasue you have set up an M-Audio keyboard in MIDI Controllers and Pro Tools can't find one as you don't have one. Again that's control surfaces... the MIDI control surface part of an M-Audio keyboard, not the MIDI keyboard.
Quote:
- I have tried it in * Bluetooth mode * USB mode (trying each of the 3 USB ports)
Uh nope that's not going to be great, just get this working over USB.

You should start by finding a good introductory tutorial on how to work with MIDI keyboards and VIs in a recent version of Pro Tools. YouTube has many of these, or Groove3 has great paid videos. If you have problems after that give us a link to the tutorial you are following and describe exactly what is not working as expected. The Pro Tools Reference Guide is not a great place to learn how to do this, but it's a really great to have the PDF open on your desktop and search for terms/explanations about things as you run into them. Learning the basics from the reference guide of what instrument tracks and are audio and MIDI routing can really help you longer term be a better Pro Tools user.

Sometimes it's useful to start as simple as possible, maybe look for tutorials using the Mini Grand VI that you likely have licensed with Pro Tools, it's the defacto simple piano VI in Pro Tools land.

Common beginner (and very often not so beginner) problems with MIDI and VIs in Pro Tools are: Not having the instrument track in record mode, not having MIDI Thu selected. Not having the correct or all, MIDI channels selected, not having a VI plugin/insert instantiated on an instrument track. And there is a bug where Pro Tools will lose the MIDI to VI routing, so always show the instrument pane thingy in the mix or edit windows and check things shown in that are correct (that is also where you check there are MIDI events happening when you press a key).

Bonus points if you understand the whole MIDI record arm and Midi Thru thing.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-17-2024 at 07:33 PM.