Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2012, 06:37 PM

Default access violation occured

Hello, I am running the trail of PT10 with my 003 and I keep getting this message
access violation occurred unable to write location 0x0014A88C
It pops up when I click on my midi track or try to open a plugin. It also stopped my sound from working and it comes up so frequently I can't do anything in Pro Tools. It's starting to make me want to go back to using 8.
Does anyone know what caused this message and how I can fix it? I have searched these forums and the internet but I cannot find any useful information.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:47 PM

Default Re: access violation occured

I get this message also when trying to import session files and sometimes when opening recent sessions in tandum. I have to say, other than this one issue v10 has worked flawlessly for me and the sound quality and speed is a giant leap forward. Until now I was disapponted using a native system after an HD session.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:33 PM

It seem this message only pops up when I am working in a session created from a template I made. If I just create a blank session I don't seem to have any problems.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:41 AM

If I shut down PT and restart the app it works fine. I can usually import one or two sessions before it happens on my system. It seems to have started when I started using virtual instruments.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:07 AM

i've just been searching around for clues about access violation, due to the fact that i have been unable to load any sessions into protools (protools software has loaded, but couldnt get any sessions in).

i closed protools, with the idea of uninstalling and reinstalling, when i noticed that my computer was busy updating apple quicktime via the web. when that finished, i reloaded protools and the sessions loaded fine.

in this context, i figure that the access violation was caused by an external piece of software running a concurrent update.

having said that, i am quite familiar with access violation messages, on a variety of machines, with different versions of protools etc etc etc but am sure they often appear in other contexts. (for a recent example, after installing, and also after ininstalling, novation's automap software, i got an access violation message during the protools boot-up i.e. i couldnt even load protools at all)

my basic questions are:

what does access violation mean?
what do those numbers mean? (0x0000000005784XYZ, 0x4358763576ABC)
what is a .dll file and how do those numbers relate to it

i.e. even before looking for the causes, i want to know what the message is trying to tell me. what's the point of an error message that is indecipherable from the point of view of the user? some error messages are, at the least comprehensible, and sometimes even offer possible solutions! not this one.