Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 02:48 AM

Default My G5 just turns off when using DIGI interfaces!!!

I have a G5 running Mac os 10.3 with ProtoolsHD Accel v 6.x.x and all 192interfaces. I am clocking Via an Appogee Big Ben. I have been having problems recently when trying to use ProTools / Itunes Via DigiCoreAudio / any other sound that uses DIgi Core Audio to play sounds through the PT HD interfaces. My computer just turns off completely after the PT interfaces click over to be used by the Digi Core Audio. (it also turns off randomly when using ProTools as well) I dont get an error message or anything. It just turns off like pulling the AC cable from the back of the computer.

First-I took my mac to the Mac store to get checked out. They said it was in tip top shape and that its probably a third party problem.

Second-Ive tried removing the extra Accel cards, and just running the Core card; no dice, still shuts down.

Third-I removed the core card and the problem has not occurred again. Awesome. Buts lets imagine I own a recording studio and have a session in less than 12 hours, and have no working protools rig. Now what should i try?

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, has anyone ever scene any problem like this?

-Rake

PS. This has been a problem before, but it stopped happenning for over 2 months. Then randomly it starts crapping out again.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:55 AM

Default Re: My G5 just turns off when using DIGI interfaces!!!

Hi,

Do everything exactly as it says in the troubleshooting thread....

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...fpart=1#177661

This will fix 99% of problems!

Other areas to look are..

reseat all the cards and the connecting cables!
reset the PRAM on the G5 then re-install PT (uninstall first with the CD or web installer, reboot, then re-install)

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:25 AM

Default Re: My G5 just turns off when using DIGI interfaces!!!

sorry to say this but the PCI slots on your motherboard are probably failing. I had a dual 2.3 that did this exact behavior. When running PT it would turn off randomly like you said, when not running PT it would sit and happily do whatever you asked of it for DAYS on end. My solution was to buy a used Dual 1.8 and move PT cards, RAM, drives, video card, airport card etc to the new computer and it's been flawless since. I was able to sell the Dual 2.3 for about the same money that the 1.8 cost me to a friend (telling them of course that they cannot use the PCI slots) and they have been perfectly happy with the machine. You can of course have the motherboard replaced (mine was out of warranty and I can't have ANY downtime--$$$$$$$$) if the machine is new enough. I thought my problem was a bad power supply but through testing narrowed it down to PCI usage. Hope this helps.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:11 PM

Default Re: My G5 just turns off when using DIGI interface

Ugh...my rig just started to do this a couple of weeks ago.....I'll have a pro tools session open, go to the can and come back and my computer has shutdown. It hasnt happend while I've been working just yet (crossing my fingers). Have you actually experienced this weird behavior Crizdee?

Dual 2.5 G5
4.5Gb Ram
OS 10.4.6
HD 3 Accel
PT 7.1 cs10
Old 12-13-2006, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Ugh...my rig just started to do this a couple of weeks ago.....I'll have a pro tools session open, go to the can and come back and my computer has shutdown. It hasnt happend while I've been working just yet (crossing my fingers). Have you actually experienced this weird behavior Crizdee?

Dual 2.5 G5
4.5Gb Ram
OS 10.4.6
HD 3 Accel
PT 7.1 cs10
Hi,

Just check your power saving settings? make sure everything is set to never, so nothing is trying to go to sleep. disable screen saver. sounds like something is attempting to perform in the background!

What else is hanging off the G5? USB devices and hard drives!! have you checked with these unplugged. i have had a problem once with a zip drive that didn't like a certain USB Hub and would cause the G5 to quit.

All the other troubleshooting stuff is always a good idea and reset the PRAM and check the G5 battery is OK.

Just systematically go through everything, like reseating the cards and cables etc.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:57 AM

i recently had similar problems, but it turned out to be a faulty power supply that did not rear its head until i upgraded to 10.4.8.

check your console window after a crash and see if there was the PMU Forced Shutdown, Cause =-122

this seems to happen in some dual processor g5's. mine was covered under apple care, and all has been well.

best of luck.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:02 AM

I got the same message on mine. The fact that it would only shutdown when there was PCI activity (PT cards in use) pointed to the motherboard and not the power supply. It's a bit of a guessing game. Power supply is $240 for the part and the motherboard is $950. I bought a used dual 1.8 from my GCPro rep for $900. For me zero downtime was most important.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:07 PM

thanks wyman...I see that in my crash log...

Nov 30 15:00:17 localhost kernel[0]: ApplePMU::PMU forced shutdown, cause = -122
Dec 12 22:01:41 localhost kernel[0]: ApplePMU::PMU forced shutdown, cause = -122

guess I have to call Apple