Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2002, 05:32 PM

Default protools mbox with protoolsLe trouble

hello everybody

I have a powerbook g4 800 512 mo with mbox usb and running with protools with about 6 plug ins i have the message:
" CPU usage is holding off USB audio,remove some plug,delete some tracks or..."
i increase my h/w buffer size like prerconised, but the pbook can't run with these all plugs
Isn't it strange to be bugged with just 6 plugs on pro tools, questions :
1) would i have best results on firewire dd or have i to change system parameters?whiwh?
1) does logic audio'or DP3' s plug ins less exigent than protools and let me work easier
Thanks a lot for your response -do you have the same trouble on 800 with 6,7 plugs ??
Old 06-03-2002, 10:49 AM
Avid

Default Re: protools mbox with protoolsLe trouble

When working with host-based systems (such as PT LE), there is always a trade-off between track count, edit density, plug-in count, inserts/busses, session length, etc (including DigiStudio functions). The more of one that you have, the less of the others you can use.

Reverbs and especially third party plug-ins require much more CPU horsepower than dynamics-type plug-ins such as Compressors and Gates.

Based on the above information, what type of plug-ins are you running when this message is posted?

Brent
Old 06-03-2002, 04:24 PM

theloy,
im running mbox on a titanium 500 w/ 512 mb ram and am getting 24 tracks/24 bit w/ about 10-12 mono plugs( from waves to stock to couple of autotunes) and im hitting about 60% on the cpu meter. i also have two stereo aux tracks w/ Dverb/ waves supertap. when i got the mbox, i did a fresh install w/ OS 9.2.2 and then mbox software. PLUS all of this is running off of the internal drive, both audio and apps.

[url=www.myspace.com/chuckbutlermusic[/url]
Old 06-03-2002, 10:24 PM

24 tracks with 12 plugins? how???
Old 06-04-2002, 10:15 AM

it regards protools le 5.2
plug ins used:
- sansamp * 2 tracks
- bomb factory * 3 tracks
- filerbank rtas e6 mono * 2 tracks
- realverb rtas stereo * 1 in aux input track
soundcard : mbox
in 24 bits /44100/hw buffer to 1024/cpu usage limit 85 % - cash memory:512 ko/virtual memory off

i am disapointed regarding to my configuration
Old 06-04-2002, 11:43 AM

the sans amp is a HOG to the cpu. you might go w/ the audiosuite version of that one.
OK, i just pulled up one of my sessions on my Tibook and ive got:
24 tracks/ 24 bit
6 mono digirack compressors
6 mono digirack 1 band eqs
2 mono Lo-fis
1 autotune
1 stereo aux track w/ stereo D-verb
1 stereo aux track w/ Waves supertap delay(2tap)
1 stereo aux track w/ Waves enigma
1 master fader track w/ maxim

this all runs at around 70 % cpu and my system meter is barely even making an appearance.(what does the system meter actually tell you anyway?)

[url=www.myspace.com/chuckbutlermusic[/url]
Old 06-04-2002, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by theloy:
it regards protools le 5.2
plug ins used:
- sansamp * 2 tracks
- bomb factory * 3 tracks
- filerbank rtas e6 mono * 2 tracks
- realverb rtas stereo * 1 in aux input track
soundcard : mbox
in 24 bits /44100/hw buffer to 1024/cpu usage limit 85 % - cash memory:512 ko/virtual memory off

i am disapointed regarding to my configuration
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sansamp and Realverb are the most CPU demanding things out there, and even the improved BF v2.0 stuff (which was a major improvement on the CPU crushing v1.0 stuff that I initially demoed) uses up ~ 20-25% CPU per mono instance. The other BF 'tools' like the Moogerfoogers are also pretty heavy on the CPU as well. I couldn't even run 2 v1.0 PSA-1's on my old G4 400/001, so don't be too disappointed. I assume you're using the v2 Sansamp, and even so I'd definitely go with audiosuite on those tracks (I don't do anything but set and forget them anyway, so why have them sitting there sucking cpu), and you'll be absolutely fine.

Although its cool to stick an RTAS plug in on a track and leave it there, I'd try to get into the audiosuite mindset, and only use RTAS for stuff that has no audiosuite equivalent (GRM Tools comes to mind) or things that you're automating/tweaking constantly.