Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 07:45 PM

Default Trouble getting MBOX with PROTOOLS LE to work

I was given an Mbox by a friend and am completely new to anything dealing with Digidesign, Mbox, Pro Tools, etc; but am familiar with other similar programs/devices. The Mbox it's self is in fine condition, the lights come on when I plug it in with the USB etc. but the included Pro Tools software is not working. I'm thinking I have an older version of Pro Tools LE, seeing as how on Digidesign's site, most Pro Tools programs mentioned are versions 7.0+. The Mbox I received includes Pro Tools LE version 5.3.3, and when I try to install it on my pc, it doesn’t work properly. When installing, it gets to a stage where it says something about installing drivers, and mentions that it may cause the screen to flash several times; but then I get an error message letting me know that the installation has had a problem. It seems to just skip that part of the installation. When ever it finishes installing and I click the Pro Tools LE icon on my desktop, it opens up the Pro Tools LE loading screen and loads until it gets to a part about MIDI setup, and then it just shuts down by it’s self. I tried to load the program several times with the same results. I also tried installing and loading the program on a different computer and I had the same results again. So I’m guessing it’s not a problem with my computer(s), maybe it’s the disk? If the problem has something to do with out of date software, or if it is just suggested that I upgrade, is there any way I could simply buy/download a new version of Pro Tools LE and it still work with my Mbox? If any one has any suggestions on fixing the problem please let me know, because I'm very interested in working with the Mbox.

thanks-
Old 02-06-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Trouble getting MBOX with PROTOOLS LE to work

Alot depends on your computer specs.
There are systems that are completely incompatible with the Mbox.

Assuming your computer is compatible, you most likely have XP SP2 conflicting with 5.3.3.
Version 6.4cs9 was the first to solve the SP2 problem with the Mbox.

You have the option of buying the latest version, 7.3 in the Digistore for $75. But I'd confirm that your computer qualifies before dropping any cash, if I were you.

Here's the Mbox Compatibility page.
You especially need to make sure you don't have an unsupported chipset chipset.