Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2024, 09:37 PM

Default MTRX II / Dante network ports mode

It says this in the MTRX II manual:
"However, when MTRX II is configured for use with built-in Dante it is possible to set the Dante interface to Redundant mode. In this configuration, use Net 1 for DADman control of MTRX II and the primary Dante connection, and use Net 2 for the redundant/secondary Dante connection."

Do either of the two modes (Redundant / Switched) let you have the following setup without an external router:

- Thunderbolt direct connection to MTRX II for DADman purposes
- TB ethernet adapter on mac, connected to Net 1 for DVS
- Another Dante device connected to Net 2, putting it on the same dante network as Net 1

The manual says in 'switched' mode NOT to use both ports, but in 'redundant' mode it looks like it's a secondary Dante network, rather than a second Dante port on the same network?
Old 01-25-2024, 03:15 AM

Default Re: MTRX II / Dante network ports mode

Redundant mode allows you to have a fail safe, essentially you create two entirely separate networks so that if one goes down you have the backup.
When you set the devices to redundant you should not connect Net 1 and Net 2 together.
You need to put then on separate networks.

This is usually a requirement in broadcast or other production environments but for smaller studios it almost always creates more hassle, it is technically a good idea to implement but most people don't.
If you set your devices to redundant and do not connect anything to Net 2 then you will get warning messages (that look like errors to people if they don't read the docs) in Dante Controller.

Switched mode allows you to daisy chain devices but be aware that more hops (going from switch to switch) adds more latency, although it is negligible. I have 0.15 ms per hop in my head but I might be wrong on that.

If you have a small network and thousands of dollars worth of gear then it is a strong recommendation to buy a small, unmanaged 8 port switch WITHOUT EEE and just use that, rather than mess about with daisy chaining Dante devices. Switches can be cheap- I used a Netgear GS108 for years and that cost under $100.

Or you can find a used managed 24 port switch on eBay for about the same.

I haven't tried what you are asking, so I cannot confirm but if this is what you are trying to do:

'Do either of the two modes (Redundant / Switched) let you have the following setup without an external router:

- Thunderbolt direct connection to MTRX II for DADman purposes
- TB ethernet adapter on mac, connected to Net 1 for DVS
- Another Dante device connected to Net 2, putting it on the same dante network as Net 1'

then setting the MTRX to 'switched' should allow you to do it.

Really though, get a switch.

If you don't need a redundant network then I usually set the devices to 'switched' and simply not use Net 2.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting