Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2011, 01:54 PM

Default Avid, why can we still not disable software monitoring (for ALL outputs)?

Title says it. PT10 supports "Low Latency Monitoring" now. First of all, using that caption and words is close to fraud because it doesn't reduce latency like the name implies, but just turns off the software monitoring that is otherwise always enabled. Users of interfaces with built-in zero-latency dsp mixers couldn't turn the PT software monitoring off and therefore the dsp functionality was useless or only usable with annoying workarounds. Now PT10 features a strange "off" switch for it: You can deactivate the software monitoring, but only for Outputs 1 and 2. Ok... that's at least a step in the right direction. But here's my questions:

- Why only include the new feature for Outputs 1+2 ?
In my studio setup, the headphones for the musicians are hooked to Output 3-4 and I'm neither able nor willing to change that. I need to turn off the software monitoring for the musicians, though.. there's no use if only I can use the DSP of my interface (Fireface UFX).

- Second question: Why can't we turn off software monitoring completely?
Is it so much work to just make a simple switch to disable this feature? I for some reasons that can't be explained because they make no sense you can't allow us to disable it for all Outputs, then PLEASE for the love of god allow us to disable the software monitoring for Outputs 1,2,3 and 4. Or better yet 5,6 also. Please :) It can't be hard at all to do that.

I'd appreciate an answer and of course a fix.. then I'd get PT10 even if the upgrade price is ridiculous.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Avid, why can we still not disable software monitoring (for ALL outputs)?

Bump.

This really is a dealbreaker for me and a lot of other people. Any info on this topic from official side would be helpful. Turning off input monitoring is also one of the most requested features in the Pro Tools IdeaScale Feedback Community..
http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...OFF/27200-3779
Old 10-21-2011, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Avid, why can we still not disable software monitoring (for ALL outputs)?

its not by any means what you want to hear, but just change your i/o setups and a couple patch cables, then you can have 1-2 to your headphone mix.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-21-2011, 05:33 PM

Yea I downloaded the manual, quickly glanced over it and I thought that looked odd.......They need to change this completely.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:11 PM

HD Native works the same w/ LLM.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:10 AM

If PT10 is still lacking this basic feature it is truly by design and a way they want keep folks from truly being able to utilize the near zero latency monitoring of devices with built in DSP monitoring. I guess it's there way of keeping HD the only way to go for truly flexible monitoring, and a way to limit how well PT actually works with 3rd party hardware.

It's all a deal breaker for me, and the main reason my PT9 has sat on my computer basically unused while I get work done with Reaper. I simply can't properly use my RME FF800 or UC with PT9 for any normal overdub work.

I'll only upgrade to PT10 if the true ability to turn off input monitoring (like any other DAW can do just about) is implimented. If they haven't offered it this time, or it's still dumbed down I'm done with PT.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipchen View Post
- Second question: Why can't we turn off software monitoring completely?
Is it so much work to just make a simple switch to disable this feature? I for some reasons that can't be explained because they make no sense you can't allow us to disable it for all Outputs, then PLEASE for the love of god allow us to disable the software monitoring for Outputs 1,2,3 and 4. Or better yet 5,6 also. Please :) It can't be hard at all to do that.

I'd appreciate an answer and of course a fix.. then I'd get PT10 even if the upgrade price is ridiculous.
I was really hoping to see this in this release.

Pro Tools | latest
Mac Mini Server | OSX | Current
16GB Ram | SSHD
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt
Old 10-22-2011, 03:51 AM

Dealbreaker for me as well. PT9 goes unused and it's 500 dollars I wish I had back. I use Logic instead because it is a 2 sec single mouse click operation to turn off software monitoring.

I would like to give PT a chance eventually. Maybe PT11?
Old 10-22-2011, 04:09 AM

Glad you guys chime in on this. Perhaps if they see there are a lot of people waiting for this feature they'll make it happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
its not by any means what you want to hear, but just change your i/o setups and a couple patch cables, then you can have 1-2 to your headphone mix.
Yeah and it doesn't really help: The way it is now, I make two separate monitor mixes, one for me and one for the performing musicians. So if I just hooked everything to 1-2, everyone would be forced to have the same monitor mix and then getting an interface like the UFX was useless. The sad thing is that it would take AVID like 10 seconds to get that function, and I highly doubt people will buy a $10,000 PT HD system instead of a $2000 interface that offers DSP effects and mixing. So they don't even profit from the restriction.
Thanks for trying to help anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtodd876 View Post
Dealbreaker for me as well. PT9 goes unused and it's 500 dollars I wish I had back. I use Logic instead because it is a 2 sec single mouse click operation to turn off software monitoring.

I would like to give PT a chance eventually. Maybe PT11?
Yeah, I bought PT9 hoping they would patch the missing off-switch for software monitoring. They didn't... haven't used PT on any production in nearly a year because of that. I also use Logic 9 and it's working great but I wanted to be compatible to PT projects and Beat Detective for drum editing work. Tracking would be very good with ProTools but muting all tracks before I hit record is not acceptable.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:37 AM

+1 here. Seems like another missed opportunity to easily give the customer base what they want/need and help justify the upgrade price. Oh well.....