Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 08:37 AM

Default Best Way to work with a Logic User

Hey folks

I am about to begin working with a Logic user in another state. I haven't used Logic since Ver. 6 and was wondering the best way to exchange files with this person. I know most will say MP3 but in my experience working this way with other platforms has caused me to have to do a little shifting to get it all to lock. What are your experiences?

Thanks
Warren
www.brownstonerecordingstudio.com
PT HD2 7.2 G5 2.0 dual
Old 08-21-2007, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Best Way to work with a Logic User

Go for full bandwidth files. You can ftp them using Fetch. If you don't want to use entire sessions, make slave mixes or stems. I usually include the tempo in the title of the mix, as well as the beginning measure. For example: "nutrackt127m1" is nu track tempo 127 measure 1. If you want to add a stem to the bridge, you might send a file "bridgestrm88", which means bridge strings measure 88.

Mp3's seem to add a bit of time to the beginning of the file. This can drive you crazy.

Best....H
Old 08-21-2007, 09:17 AM

The fidelity and offsetting of MP3 files make them unsuitable for anything other
than referencing.

Do you have Digitranslator? If so, OMF might be a good way to go:
See: http://www.digitalmediatraining.com/...omf_files.html

for a tutorial on the process.

If you don't have digitranslator, I do a "save session in" to a new folder
location... check the Copy Audio option!! Then following the NARAS
interchange guideline by making an all track selection and then doing a consolidate
regions to create a series of whole_file contiguous regions .. then deleting all
the unused regions. I then zip up the audio folder and send this.

Also, is your Logic guy using Midi? Midi files are a good way to communicate tempo
and markers.

The OMF files are big, so you may have to burn media and Fedex them, or if you have
a good broadband connection, then using services such as YouSendIt, FTP, and/or Digidelivery
are media exchange options.

jeff
Old 08-21-2007, 09:20 AM

Full Bandwidth, ie. a RTD file as a .BWF or AIFF. Can they import Sound Designer files?

Thanks
Warren
Old 08-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Avid

Quote:
Full Bandwidth, ie. a RTD file as a .BWF or AIFF. Can they import Sound Designer files?

Thanks
Warren
Logic CAN import Sound Designer files, but you really, really should avoid using them, as they are not cross-platform compatible (no that you'd necessarily care about that) and are no longer being developed. In other words - it's an old format. Don't use it unless you absolutely, positively have no other choice.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:38 PM

Any one using SD2s in this day and age is not be someone you want to associate with

the file type is to easily damaged

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-21-2007, 01:09 PM

I work with logic users on a daily basis. OMF is great both ways - takes some experimenting to see what works.

From Logic:
Use export OMF.Type 2. Check convert to split stereo, no dither, and 24bit, include audio are my settings. However it has the limitation of the number of audio files (255 I believe is the limit) You can split the session by hiding all tracks and just unhiding the ones you want. e.g. do the drums, then instruments, then vocals ... 3 x seperate OMF files. In PT simply open the firt OMF as tho it were a session - PT will then create an appropriate BIT / Sample rate session, then inport the remaining OMF's.One Caveat is that OMF exported this way on a MACPRO do not seem to work. AAF seems to work tho - same process as above.Fades from Logic appear as separate regions in PT.
Exporting from Logic using the 'export track as audio file' is great for instruments and / or incorporating the users plugins. Something PT could definitely benefit from.

From PT:
I use the options that make the OMF refer to the existing audio.I don't remember exactly the combination that works, but I usually prefer to not use OMF this direction and just consolidate the audio back to logic user primarily because PT is where the more intense editing occurs and its just too complicated looking in PT with thousands of edits and fades. Seems faster and more reliable. Fade files appear as separate audio files using OMF making it even more complicated and fragmented.

Thats my flow ... A