Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2006, 08:06 PM

Default How to Delay Compensate PTLE 7

I am just now finding out about how delay compensation is affecting my recordings. When I record a guitar part (for example) and add a plug sometime I can hit cntl+ fader and it shows 60 samples Delay.

Here is my question. I know we have the time adjuster plugs from digidesign and I know how to nudge. How do you know if you have moved it properley? Also which way do you move it? Left or right? Can someone explain a fool proof method for moving the tracks where they are back in line? It also does not show the same amount on the fader readout when you move it and press cntl+left click to check delay comp.

Thanks.

For all complaints click here

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 05-30-2006, 02:21 AM

Default Re: How to Delay Compensate PTLE 7

Lets say you have a group of tracks that have rcomp on them. Those tracks have 64 samples of latency on them due to the plug in. Now add the short timeadjuster to the other tracks as innnsert 5 and put 64 samples of delay on them.

Now all the tracks are the same latency.
Got it?

PT HD automatically does this under the covers.

LE we have to do it this way.

Enjoy,

BigBubbaJ
Old 05-30-2006, 03:20 AM

... I believe that unless the delay is more then the buffer amount it IS compensated for. So... If you look to see wha the delay is and its 512 and you have the buffer at 1024 ou shouldnt have any problem... But if you are using a huge plugin like somethign from WAVES and the delay is somehing like 3500(which some are) then ou will have to nudge it. Although, i could be wrong but i believe this was the point of the buffer.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:50 AM

Does this affect monitoring while you're recording?(having RenComp on etc) I monitor with the source being recorded split to a small analog mixer. No plugs on the recorded channels but the rest of the mix has plugs on. I don't use low latency because I'm not monitorng through the 002. So is having plugs on the other channels going to give me latency issues even though I'm monitoring externally? TIA!
Old 05-30-2006, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Lets say you have a group of tracks that have rcomp on them. Those tracks have 64 samples of latency on them due to the plug in. Now add the short timeadjuster to the other tracks as innnsert 5 and put 64 samples of delay on them.

Now all the tracks are the same latency.
Got it?

PT HD automatically does this under the covers.

LE we have to do it this way.

Enjoy,

BigBubbaJ
Can you submix a time adjuster? Just a thought! So what you're telling me (and by the way thanks for the quick response) is I need to put a time adjuster plugin on every other track other than the track that is 64 samples off? I think I know the answer to this question already as common sense would tell me to adjust the one instead of the others. But I would like clarification a bit more.

My My what would we do without the forum and the great keepers of forum wisdom. (Just suckin up a bit to the pros like BBJ, Shan, SPK, you all know who you are.). I don't think half of us could have made it through our first update wothout their help. Thanks guys.

For all complaints click here

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 05-30-2006, 11:20 AM

you can also nudge BACK the track with the 50ms delay (nudged -50ms).

making a duplicate playlist is one way to manage where it was originally. Or use the notes field. if you change the plug later and want to start from scratch, you'll need this info. Of course, I dunno how in the hell to use spot mode so this might just be my bunk oldschool way of doing it.

I spent a few hours a couple of months ago with a hand clap and bounced metronome track to discover all sorts of stuff about PT and delay. It all made a lot more sense afterward. I was shocked to find out that there is no delay when bouncing a track out to a compressor and back in. In fact, I think it was -1 sample! I recommend everyone have a little evening like this.

I wish for a keyboard shortcut to 'jump' to the nudge box so you can put in a nudge value directly (instead of the shortcuts to in/decrement it).