Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2008, 05:21 PM

Default PC doesn't recognize MBox 2

Okay, I'm getting really mad. My Mac recently died so I decided to build my own PC. It ran nice and smooth and didn't give me any problems...until I tried to install Pro Tools. At first I tried installing my original 6.7 disc, but the software couldn't recognize the MBox 2. At the point where I was instructed to connect the hardware and click ok, I received a blue screen memory dump. When the PC rebooted, I tried to uninstall Pro Tools but couldn't. Basically I had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows to get rid of it...which I did.

After a fresh Windows install, I installed 7.4 with the hardware detached from the system. Once the install was complete, I rebooted and connected the MBox 2. I received the found new hardware pop up and went through a firmware update and midi driver process. After this was complete, I received another blue screen memory dump. After another reboot everything seemed okay, but now as Pro Tools load up, I get the message saying to connect the hardware...when it is already connected.

I'm losing my mind. Can someone help me with this? I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3...
Old 10-25-2008, 01:13 AM

Default Re: PC doesn't recognize MBox 2

Hi FJ,

I'm having the same exact problem as you. But in your other post:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...57#post1285857

it sounds like you were able to solve your problem? Were you able to?

If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks
Old 10-25-2008, 11:21 PM
Avid

Quote:
After a fresh Windows install, I installed 7.4 with the hardware detached from the system. Once the install was complete, I rebooted and connected the MBox 2. I received the found new hardware pop up and went through a firmware update and midi driver process. After this was complete, I received another blue screen memory dump. After another reboot everything seemed okay, but now as Pro Tools load up, I get the message saying to connect the hardware...when it is already connected.
Yeah, you're going to want to actually follow the instructions in the Getting Started Guide, as well as on-screen during installation of Pro Tools - both of which indicate you must have your hardware connected during installation for drivers to be installed properly.

Uninstall Pro Tools from Add/Remove Programs, then restart and install again, this time use the Getting Started Guide to walk you through a proper installation.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:12 PM

Hi DigiTechSupt, Thanks for replying.

I actually am following the steps in the Getting Started Guide and have the Mbox plugged in before installation.

I can't uninstall PT from Add/Remove Programs. It gives an error saying PT is already installed. So I use the PT Uninstaller program then reboot.

During the installation when it asks to plug in the Mbox and click ok, (it's already plugged in so I just hit ok) an Unsigned Driver message box comes up and I click Continue Anyway. It's right at that moment the Blue Screen happens:

Code:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

*** STOP: 0xD1

*** dalwdm.sys
Note: PT worked a month ago. Just one day I went to launch PT and this happened. And I can't think of anything different that I did or any programs that I installed that would cause this.

Judging by the error I suspected defected RAM. So I ran memtest for seven hours and all tests passed without error. As of yesterday though, I bought all new RAM and upgraded from two GB to four GB.

Some specs:
Motherboard: Asus P5N-E SLI
Chipset: nVida nForce 650i SLI SPP
Proc: Intel Core 2 Duo E4600
RAM: 2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM
Video: NVIDA GeForce 6800
HDD: 80 GB and a 400 GB
DVD: SONY DVD RW DRU-720A

If there's any other tips or ideas I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 10-26-2008, 12:39 PM

Your issue sounds a little different DM... If you can't uninstall or install again... Read and try this perhaps (the link below). It saved me. I was spending a long time on this issue, until I came upon this post here. I think post #4 specifically!!!! Also, read my post that follows up. I think a folder is mentioned, but he meant "file". Just move (cut) it out of there. I think he wanted you to place it back eventually perhaps? I can't remember specifics W/O reviewing all the posts and steps. Just read them I guess. Or check out post 2. I didn't have to go to that fix myself though, as post # 4 worked for me. I'm just saying I was confused at first about that "folder" reference when indeed it was a file.
Good luck!~
Old 10-26-2008, 02:17 PM

Thanks Balty.

I tried it out and unfortunately I got the same error.

I booted into safe mode. Cut the driver. Paste on desktop. Reboot. Install PT. And then the crash when clicking on OK to install driver. dalwdm.sys Blue Screen.

I even tried installing PT in Safe mode. Even though I got some other errors during the install it did get past the dalwdm.sys error and was able to finish the installation. But when I rebooted i got the blue screen on start up.

Thanks though
Old 10-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryMedia View Post
Thanks Balty.

I tried it out and unfortunately I got the same error.

I booted into safe mode. Cut the driver. Paste on desktop. Reboot. Install PT. And then the crash when clicking on OK to install driver. dalwdm.sys Blue Screen.

I even tried installing PT in Safe mode. Even though I got some other errors during the install it did get past the dalwdm.sys error and was able to finish the installation. But when I rebooted i got the blue screen on start up.

Thanks though
Have you tried connecting to a different USB port on the computer? It sounds like you have an IRQ conflict - switching USB ports may help.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:22 PM

I tried every USB port. Even detaching everything except my USB mouse.

No luck.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:32 PM

Some more tests. It actually does crash in Safe Mode.

In Safe Mode, when connect the Mbox the green light does not turn on. But the computer does not crash. But when I go to Device Manager and disable then enable the Mbox Audio Driver, the computer crashes.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:37 PM

My Sandra Report:

Code:
SiSoftware Sandra

System
Host Name : 
User : 
Workgroup : WORKGROUP

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E4600  @ 2.40GHz
Speed : 2.88GHz
Cores per Processor : 2 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Type : Dual-Core
Internal Data Cache : 2x 32kB, Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 2MB, ECC, Synchronous, ATC, 8-way, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing

System
System : System manufacturer System Product Name
Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5N-E SLI
Bus(es) : PCI PCIe IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No
Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : Yes
System BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS P5N-E SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 1301
Total Memory : 3.25GB

Chipset
Model : Nvidia C55 Host Bridge
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 240MHz (960MHz)

Video System
Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU (256MB DDR3, 351MHz/2x1.00GHz, PCIe 1.00 x16, PS3.0, VS3.0, 2 Heads)
Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU (256MB DDR3, 351MHz/2x1.00GHz, PCIe 1.00 x16, PS3.0, VS3.0)

Storage Devices
Maxtor 6Y080M0 80GB (SATA, 3.5", 7200rpm, 8MB Cache) : 75GB (C:)
HDS724040KLSA80 400GB (SATA150, 2.5", 7200rpm, 8MB Cache) : 373GB (E:)
SONY DVD RW DRU-720A (ATA66, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : 3GB (D:)

Logical Storage Devices
Hard Disk (C:) : 71GB (NTFS) @ Maxtor 6Y080M0 80GB (SATA, 3.5", 22160rpm, 8MB Cache)
Data (E:) : 373GB (NTFS) @ HDS724040KLSA80 400GB (SATA150, 2.5", 7200rpm, 8MB Cache)
Pro Tools LE (D:) : 3GB (CDFS) @ SONY DVD RW DRU-720A (ATA66, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : ASUS A8N-VM CSM Mainboard
Audio Device : ASUS MCP51 High Definition Audio
Audio Codec : Realtek Semiconductor 883 High Definition Audio
Serial Port(s) : 1
Disk Controller : ASUS A8N-VM CSM Mainboard
Disk Controller : ASUS JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller
USB Controller 1 : ASUS A8N-VM CSM Mainboard
USB Controller 2 : ASUS A8N-VM CSM Mainboard
FireWire/1394 Controller 1 : ASUS VT6306 VIA Fire II IEEE-1394 OHCI Link Layer Controller
System SMBus Controller 1 : nVidia MCP5+ SMBus 1
System SMBus Controller 2 : nVidia MCP5+ SMBus 2

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer (600x600, Colour)
Printer : Microsoft Office Document Image Writer Driver (200x200)
Printer : Amyuni PDF Converter 2.07 (1200x1200, Parallel, Colour)
Printer : HP DeskJet 710C (300x300, Colour)

Network Services
Network Adapter : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller #2 - Packet Scheduler Miniport (Ethernet, 100Mbps)

Power Management
Mains (AC) Line Status : On-Line

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP (2002) Professional 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)
Platform Compliance : x86
My BIOS and all other hardware drivers are fully updated.