Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2002, 06:53 AM

Default Re: On VST, Rewire and ProTools...

....OK. I've built a Pluggo that appears to be hosting VST plug-ins under RTAS, BUT;
1. I've only tested it in PT Free, which according to C74 is not supported by Pluggo (PT 5.1 minimum required). This could explain why it's crashed a few times with type 2 errors....
2. vst~ does not appear to respond to the 'open' message necessary to open the plug's window for editing; I've hacked a workaround which puts a list of parameters with and edit field in the main window, and you can also recall presets. However, adjusting these parameters seem to be the main cause of crashes (if you just leave the thing alone, it seems to be ok).
I'll test it with PT5.1 when I get home (amazing what you can do in your spare time at work [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ) and get back to you. If it works, expect to see a version at www.wildfrontear.co.uk soon.
Old 10-24-2002, 04:08 PM

I will be very interested to hear how this develops

Thanks mr lone roger

I knew there was a reason your site was on my toolbar favourites

Cheers

BD
Old 10-24-2002, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by uiop:
but that it would introduce an element of instability in to the PT enviroment,,of course it wasn't put to me in so few words,,but that was the impression i was left with,,,
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I remember some issue about RTAS only supporting one window per plug-in, while a VST plug-in could have more than one window at a time (tho the only one I can think of is the VSTi of Absynth). I may be off on this, and I'm away from headquarters right now and can't check my references...

I think there's a definite political angle to it as well. Allowing VST effects plug-ins in Pro Tools would mean that hundreds of plug-ins out there that have no licensing connection with Digidesign would suddenly be able to run within Pro Tools. This means that those companies who _have_ signed on as Digi developers would be losing PT market share (in theory) to a slew of "rogue" companies.

ReWire, I think, has some similarities in this respect to VST. There are companies (eg Koblo) who are Digi partners that market softsynths already compatible with Pro Tools. Hence, PT supporting ReWire, and thereby Reason, would pull users from Koblo to Reason.

ReWire, however, is also a technology with a wider technical "range" than VST. It encompasses methods of moving multiple streams of audio data, linking transports, and providing sample-accurate sync between applications. Contrast this to VST, which involves only audio input and output of a single stream of audio data. If Pro Tools were to support ReWire, it would mean rewriting code in many different areas of the application.

This is not to say that Digi shouldn't support ReWire, only that it would be quite an involved process for them to do so. And currently, if you haven't noticed, they are already racing to get their product working with OS X. In this light, I don't think ReWire support is a high priority for them.

Just some thoughts that have been kicking around over the last year....

Leigh
Old 10-25-2002, 09:34 AM

Hi Atana,
Could you or others elaborate on the ways you use Reason? I know how to sync it to PT, and I've used it to generate click tracks or drum tracks, but I know I'm not getting much out of it. Thanks for any replies.
Old 10-25-2002, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MartinC:
Hi Atana,
Could you or others elaborate on the ways you use Reason? I know how to sync it to PT, and I've used it to generate click tracks or drum tracks, but I know I'm not getting much out of it. Thanks for any replies.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi Martin,

Reason syncs to Cubase or DP perfectly.
( I use DP) Less latency, and Rewire supports most of the transport controls like play, shuttle, set loop points etc. And the greatest things is that in DP, you can change the playback tempo of Reason. and.. what else... ah.. Cubase and DP (and now Logic, maybe) supports Rex file,
You can just drag your loops into DP. No audio import. Just click on a loop, and drag/drop it into DP.

Maybe, there's much more... sorry honestly, I haven't used Refuse yet, but looks like it's got lots of problems..