Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2023, 02:38 AM

Default TB3 option

Hi all,

Would any be considering using the MTRX Studio with the TB3 option as I am considering purchasing one.

Regards
Old 07-08-2023, 07:17 AM

Default Re: TB3 option

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrelandM View Post
Hi all,

Would any be considering using the MTRX Studio with the TB3 option as I am considering purchasing one.

Regards
Considering for what? Do you have HDX? Native PCIe? If you just want to use it as a Thunderbolt interface there are other options for you.
Old 07-08-2023, 10:00 AM

Hi its2loud,

Running HD Native but looking at using this as a Thunderbolt interface via core audio and combined channel counts up to 128 if possible with DADman and the MTRX Studio.

Regards
Old 07-08-2023, 11:23 AM

Combined interface with what other interface?

My professional opinion is to ditch the HD Native unless you’re using it for low latency recording. Otherwise, it buys you nothing. It just limits you. HD NATIVE only allows for 64 channels of IO in Pro Tools.

MTRX Studio is limited to 64 channels via Thunderbolt. You cannot combine Pro Tools using the HD Native playback engine with the Thunderbolt core audio unless you utilize AUX I/O which is a bit janky IMO.

A better way to solve your IO issue is to spend the money on something like DAD Core 256 or DAD Center AX Center. Both give you 256 channels of Thunderbolt IO. As well as Dante, MADI, and ADAT.
Old 07-08-2023, 12:49 PM

''MTRX Studio is limited to 64 channels via Thunderbolt. You cannot combine Pro Tools using the HD Native playback engine with the Thunderbolt core audio unless you utilize AUX I/O which is a bit janky IMO''.

What can using Dolby Atmos Bridge and AUX I/O offer?

64 or 128 channels of audio via TB3. Would the 64 channels of HD Native be in low latency mode if configured through AUX /IO and could I then access the 64 channels of Dante, also 16 channels of ADAT using its 512x512 matrix in DADman.

Regards
Old 07-08-2023, 01:05 PM

If you’re using DAB with Pro Tools then only thing using HD Native would be the Dolby Renderer at this point for monitoring through the MTRX Studio.

You could use PTAB or DAB through Aux IO to the Renderer and back and then monitor through Pro Tools utilizing the HD Native with MTRX Studio but this is a very roundabout and latency provoking workflow when you could have direct connectivity all through Thunderbolt and DADMan Monitoring.

Is the only reason you want to get MTRX Studio because you currently have HD Native? What is your current interface with the HD Native?

Quote:
Would the 64 channels of HD Native be in low latency mode if configured through AUX /IO
No. Aux IO does not take advantage of HDX or HD Native LL.

The Dante and ADAT is completely separate from application to application workflow. It’s merely a pipeline for input and output to the MTRX Studio.

What is your ultimate goal here?
Old 07-10-2023, 01:39 AM

I have tried DAB and HD Native to the Dolby Renderer to monitor through my MTRX Studio also have looked at DAB with AUX IO however I find that these methods are somewhat complicated.
Could the TB3 option help when using Protools and the Dolby Atmos Renderer or even the AUX I/O if configured correctly and allow external patchbay routing for line in and outs into protools using TB3 within a hybrid system.

Regards
Old 07-10-2023, 07:57 AM

Again, what is your ultimate end goal?

Quote:
Could the TB3 option help when using Protools and the Dolby Atmos Renderer or even the AUX I/O if configured correctly and allow external patchbay routing for line in and outs into protools using TB3 within a hybrid system.
Can you simplify this please?

What does “AUX I/O configured correctly” mean exactly?

“Allow external patchbay routing” for what? MTRX Studio? - any hardwired ins and outs of MTRX Studio would be available through either Digilink or TB3 option.

What exactly is a “hybrid system”. You cannot choose both HD Native AND TB3 as your playback engine at the same time. It is one or the other. HD Native is not buying you anything here. In fact, it is only limiting you.

You have HD Native. Your limitation will always be 64 channels whether it’s with Digilink or TB3 option (Again, MTRX Studio TB3 is limited to only 64 channels.
Old 07-10-2023, 09:33 AM

''The Avid MTRX Thunderbolt 3 Module enables 256 channels of native low-latency I/O connectivity and routing between multiple Core Audio- based DAWs, including Pro Tools''.

https://vintageking.com/avid-mtrx-thunderbolt-3-module
Old 07-10-2023, 10:52 AM

Its2Loud is too right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrelandM View Post
''The Avid MTRX Thunderbolt 3 Module enables 256 channels of native low-latency I/O connectivity and routing between multiple Core Audio- based DAWs, including Pro Tools''.

https://vintageking.com/avid-mtrx-thunderbolt-3-module
That 256 channel is only when used with the MTRX II, when used with a MTRX Studio it's 64 Channel. This is spelt out in other Avid doc. I let Vintage King know they have this misleading info on that page and I'm sure they'll correct it.