Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2005, 06:06 PM

Default Delay compensation question...?

Hello,

I just did a major blazing overall to my PC, AMD 3500+, 10K Raptors drives, 2GB high performance low latency ram, and fresh new install of Pro Tools.

Now when i add plug-ins to my tracks and CTRL Click on the faders to go thru the 3 different displays (volume, peak, delay ) i always get "0" in the delay even if i add like 5 plug-ins on the tracks, i could add 5 reverbs and still get "0", am i missing something??? is there a preference setting that needs to be changed?... the display changes for the "Volume & Peak". Do i need something else "clicked" ?????

Would this new system upgrade have anything to do with it? maybe eliminating a delay now the speed of the system has been boosted and overhauled for major performance???

Thanks,
Cory C
Old 04-02-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Delay compensation question...?

No. Some plugins don't induce any latency, and some plugins don't report it.

Check the list(s)

~

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 04-02-2005, 10:10 PM

Cool.. thanks!!!
Old 04-02-2005, 11:13 PM

RTAS plug-ins should not report anything when you Control click to display the delay.. that's a TDM only function.. and if a value is reported for an RTAS plug-in it will screw up the timing for the track if that plug-in is used as an RTAS version on a TDM system using ADC. ADC on the TDM system will use that value and delay the tracks incorrectly.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 04-03-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Delay compensation question...? RAIL ?

Quote:
RTAS plug-ins should not report anything when you Control click to display the delay.. that's a TDM only function.. and if a value is reported for an RTAS plug-in it will screw up the timing for the track if that plug-in is used as an RTAS version on a TDM system using ADC. ADC on the TDM system will use that value and delay the tracks incorrectly.

Rail
Rail, I really need to understand what you mean by this thouroughly, I've always used the dly report on tracks in LE to shift tracks back, by the number of samples reported on a track using RTAS plugins. and "spotted" them back to where they belong when working on TDM to allow ADC to do it's job automaticly.

Please take a look at THIS PICTURE OF LE

ChannelStrip always reports a dly of 16, ... the accumulation of plugins on the VoxComp channel, is reporting 144.

Waves Mono Rvox by itself RTAS always reports 64.

In the sesion above, on a track like the vocal track, that has a series of latency reporting RTAS combined, I can usually hear the track "Fall out of the pocket a bit" and by nudging the audio by the number indicated, I've always felt that (or thought) it returned back to where it should sit in the track.

Is that correct ? I do this tons and wonder now, if I am just imagining it by analizing the nuances of the performance on a track, because of the "Psycology" of having many plugins on a track, and "Expecting" latency ?

Please elaborate a bit on the pic linked above, and weather or not PT 6.7LE automaticly compensates for RTAS DLY (OR if there really "IS" Delay incurred by these plugins (I'm wondering if your statement "RTAS plug-ins should not report anything when you Control click to display the delay" intimated that ALL RTAS plugins do NOT introduce latency) in which case there would be no compensation in 6.7, it'd obvioustly be un neccisary.

You know, I could do the whole, record to another track with the plugin's through a Bus, and check the sample accuracy, however 1. I'm too tired... and 2. You know this stuff inside out, and your explanation regardless of the outcome, especially about the dly reported by these plugins, will be way more informative.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 04-03-2005, 01:46 AM

The Reference Manual clearly states that the delay is only for TDM plug-ins... Some RTAS plug-ins will induce a delay, and most won't... some like the URS EQ's used to report a 4 sample delay for the RTAS versions as well (while they incur no delay when used as RTAS)... so when used in TDM 6.4 or later with ADC enabled would place the audio 4 samples too early. RTAS plug-ins which do incur a delay which matches the TDM versions will be fine with ADC, however don't assume that the value is correct for RTAS.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 04-03-2005, 12:52 PM

Thanks Rail.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App