Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 05:51 AM

Default Master Word Clock Generator - Recommendations?

Hi Guys,

I am looking for recommendations on a Master Word Clock Generator for my setup at home.

I haven’t got a great deal to spend on this occasion & it is only for home, so sadly the Big Ben is way out of my price range…

It will just be to sync my 002R, an Aphex 207D & an ADA8000

Many Thanks

Nick
Old 11-30-2005, 07:09 AM

Default Re: Master Word Clock Generator - Recommendations?

The more I look into this, the more it seems that all these units are extremely expensive compared to what I thought I would have to spend…(£100-£200 {$170-$340}) Doh…

I should have engaged brain before going down this route, I am now not only interested in cheep Master Word Clock Generators recommendations, but also other solutions to hooking them all up together… Maybe distributing from the 002R in some way?

Is the clock in the 002R really that bad?

Cheers

N
Old 11-30-2005, 05:11 PM

They are not god awful, but they ain't great. What all do you need to clock anyhow? Maybe spring for some high priced converters and clock to those. There is a big ben already in the apogee 16X ... sorry couldn't help myself. If your not gonna go $1,000 I don't think you would notice a huge difference. I'm not pimping the Big Ben, there are other contenders out there slightly cheaper but...
You get the idea,
Jon
Old 11-30-2005, 06:15 PM

Now the MiniMe is no Big Ben lets be clear, But the low jitter clock in the MIni is not bad at all. I could not beleave how good the other pres in my 01v96 and the 2 in the 001. There is a way to do it without spending more than a few hundres dollars. The post above that had the link to henry engeneering has really reasonable stuff to do this. A video guy at work told me about them I ordered one and Its great. All of your converters, crapy or not will improve greatly if you clock it to something good, and I back that for the price it is the best value, not the best gear made but not bad in any way I have found. That Great River/Mytec Combo I would love to here, Now thats what im buying after that first big check from the record company(s) haha.

Take care,

Brent
Quote:
They are not god awful, but they ain't great. What all do you need to clock anyhow? Maybe spring for some high priced converters and clock to those. There is a big ben already in the apogee 16X ... sorry couldn't help myself. If your not gonna go $1,000 I don't think you would notice a huge difference. I'm not pimping the Big Ben, there are other contenders out there slightly cheaper but...
You get the idea,
Jon

www.kineticrecordingstudios.com
Old 12-01-2005, 12:49 AM

Quote:
The post above that had the link to henry engeneering has really reasonable stuff to do this. A video guy at work told me about them I ordered one and Its great.

Now I am confused, Which post would that be?

I did find a Henry Engineering on t'interweb but I couldn't find any products that seemed to do the job, Which of their products are we talking about here?

Cheers

N
Old 12-01-2005, 01:42 AM

Quote:
It will just be to sync my 002R, an Aphex 207D & an ADA8000
IMO its not worth the cost, start with top analogue front end then top converters that will already have a good clock in them
Old 12-01-2005, 03:57 PM

I think your probably right, it just seems a shame I cant have all 18 inputs working if I needed them to…

I can have the 8 ADAT inputs if I set the 002r clock to ADAT or I can have the 2 SPDIF inputs if it’s set to the SPDIF clock, but sadly not both at the same time…

N
Old 12-01-2005, 04:12 PM

Sorry man I botched that post. You were on the right site the link to the unit I use is here.
It is $325 plus shipping. I agree with the other poster that said to upgrade you pres/converters and the worry about clocking. It was money well spent for my setup.

Sorry for the screwed up post before.

Brent

Quote:
Quote:
The post above that had the link to henry engeneering has really reasonable stuff to do this. A video guy at work told me about them I ordered one and Its great.

Now I am confused, Which post would that be?

I did find a Henry Engineering on t'interweb but I couldn't find any products that seemed to do the job, Which of their products are we talking about here?

Cheers

N

www.kineticrecordingstudios.com
Old 12-01-2005, 10:08 PM

Quote:
it just seems a shame I cant have all 18 inputs working if I needed them to…
why cant you?
sync the ada8000 from ADAT in, dont even bother with using the internal clock in the ada8000 it sucks
Old 12-01-2005, 11:47 PM

Default No Clock Output feature on 002r!

Because even if it worked (which it doesn’t… The 002 doesn’t seem to want to send a clock down to the ADA8000 via ADAT. When you set the 002 to internal & the ADA8000 to slave, it won’t lock, simple as that…) it wouldn’t solve the problem of getting the SPDIF working at the same time because the 207D can only take an external word clock from BNC Word clock in not SPDIF… (and I am not utterly convinced that the 002 is sending its internal word clock down the SPDIF input anyway…

It seems according to the PT7 reference guide (P644)

Quote:

Ext. Clock Output
Pro Tools can be used as the master device in
your synchronization setup, where all other devices
are then slaved to Pro Tools word clock
output.
With Pro Tools|HD systems, clock output can be
configured for 1x word clock, or 256x Slave
Clock for Digidesign Legacy I/Os (such as 888|24
I/O). See the Pro Tools|HD Getting Started Guide
for more information on clock output and Legacy
I/Os.
To set Ext. Clock Output:
1 Choose Setup > Hardware in Pro Tools.
2 Click the Ext. Clock Output pop-up menu and
select an available signal.
3 Click OK to close the Hardware Setup dialog
when you have finished.

We have no such options with LE/002r so it seems in reality, ext word clock output is not a feature we have…

N
P.S. I really hope I am wrong about this...