Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2001, 02:00 AM

Default Mac VS. PC for NEW and Old

PC-VS Mac? For New and Old

Obviously the Mac is more popular than the PC and in the past for good reason, the PC sucked!! But that has all changed now, and due to AMD and Big Time software support for the PC for at least the Digi you are able to save a lot of money going with the PC and get yourself more power Plug In wise. You do not believe me? Well you don’t know much about the PC then do you? Slowly but surely it has crept under the skin of Vet Mac users and turned serious heads by even the most loyal Mac guys. Why? Well here is a little FAQ on this and some answers to your questions that dispel the rumors.

1.Macs are way more stable than PC’s

This was true in the past but not now, you see the Mac is considered a closed platform system and is designed by one company with all of the same parts from one place. The PC is designed at all different levels to do all kinds of different things. If you ask a $500 K-Mart PC to run against a Mac sure it’s going to cheese.

There are now custom Designers of PC based DAW’s that specialize in building hot rod systems for the Digi and many other soundcard systems with rock solid results and performance. You just need to be a little more careful about what you are buying.

2. A Mac will outperform a PC and has more available plug in’s

I can tell you first hand right now a well built PC will outrun a MAC for plug in’s running PTLE 5.1.1, of course there are more MAC plug in’s for the Digi out there but there are tons of PC ones (enough to keep you happy.)

3. Macs are the Standard and all the real Pro’s use them

Wrong, there are more Macs in studios, but your PTLE files from a PC are totally transferable. Everything you can do with a MAC a PC will do with the Digi-001 as well.

4.Who cares?

Maybe you should if you have an old Mac or don’t have a computer at all. An equivalent PC build to run pro tools at every level a Mac can is $600-$1000 less. If this does not make you raise an eyebrow than maybe the fact that the Digi will work with other #rd party software that is dirt cheap on the PC.

Like Acid, Sound Forge, Wave Lab, Logic

Anyways I am not trying to rip Mac or current Mac owners because they are sweet and run great.

But what you do not know or don’t care to see can hurt you and your pocket book.

This is just my 2 cents, an opinion to which these forums are for. Surely this will start a war but who cares, if your offended because there is another option for less out there than your clinging to tightly to “Brand Status”. No record exec, nor an Ad agency will care what you did the work on as long as it sounds good.

So use this for food for thought that there is another option, another flavor that works for the Digi and it works as good.

The rumor that you have to be some kind of tech to use a PC is also total BS, if you can run a MAC and figure that out or a VS-1680 you can handle this it is not brain surgery.

Here are a few places to see the configs and prices of some PC’s, now don’t go ditch your Mac but if your stuck with a 9600 running the bare minimum before you drop $3000 on the CPU alone check out a PC it really might save you some money to afford some great Digidesign Plug in’s

I bought my system from www.dawbox.com pre configured and set up to Run PTLE out of the box and it cost me $2100 for the whole system for a 1.4Ghz with 512ram two 60gig drives and a 24x burner with the Digi-001. I have been able to run all the plug in’s at once with 24 tracks and no lock ups!

www.dawbox.com
www.dreamwaresystems.com
www.soundchaser.com
Old 11-22-2001, 03:11 AM

Default Re: Mac VS. PC for NEW and Old

Who asked you anyway? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

You forgot that PCs are "controlled" by Bill Gates!!! which in my opinion is the only reason you need to have a Mac instead.

Nocturnal
Old 11-22-2001, 03:53 AM

well ok then [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

say hi to Bill for us dude!
Old 11-22-2001, 08:31 AM

SOS different day. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2001, 09:20 AM

as long as p.c's run windows its gonna suck. i just bought my first mac g4 867...was hardcore pc guy for many many years. the mac is dope. so slick and smooth its crazy i didnt switch over earlier.
Old 11-22-2001, 09:41 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Nocturnal:
Who asked you anyway? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

You forgot that PCs are "controlled" by Bill Gates!!! which in my opinion is the only reason you need to have a Mac instead.

Nocturnal
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whahahahaha!!!who do you think runs apple?

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2001, 11:02 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Locash:
as long as p.c's run windows its gonna suck. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] What true words...

But now to bituminousdisease:
First of all I think everybody will accept your opinion. If the pc is your first choice then go ahead and have fun.
But forgive my stupid question:
WHY ARE YOU POSTING THIS IN A MAC FORUM???
I mean do you really think that the mac users here around throw away their machines and go for windows now? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Sorry but I can´t imagine that.

I´m quite happy that I went with mac. I was on windows for years and the only thing I had was trouble. Like Locash said I would be much happier if I had switched earlier.
I believe there are some more people here who can tell you almost the same story...
So perhaps try to post it in the general forum... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Markus

PS
Do you really use wavelab and soundforge??? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2001, 11:08 AM

bituminousdisease:

Excuse me, but did anyone ask you anything? Or are you getting 10% off your PC DAW for infiltrating a Mac dominated user group, on behalf of 'Jethro's PC Land'? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2001, 11:12 AM

I don't care if you call it "Brand Loyalty" or not....

I had a Macintosh that got me through college (1986-1990). I wrote all my term papers, thesis, and homework on it. It was an SE-30 with 2mb of RAM and a 20mb HD.

I worked as a professional photographer for years, and none of the digital labs I worked with used PC's. I have trusted more of my scans to Macintosh computers and Photoshop than I care to remember and it has never let me down. This was also in a time when you COULDN'T get a PC to run Photoshop reliably, and digital labs wouldn't touch them.

I worked as a mastering engineer for CD duplication. Yep. All Macs. Our tech guy didn't like them because he was a tech guy and wanted to fiddle with PC's all day. But thank God he got over-ruled and we used Mac's day in and day out without any major problems.

During this time period, I released several albums, all of which were sequenced using Opcode Vision on a 7100 PPC. (A brilliant program which NEVER existed on the PC, and unfortunately is now effectively defunct thanks to Gibson), and mastered the work on our in-house Mac's.

Now thanks to the march of advancing technology, I have a 24 track Pro Tools system (001) on my G4, a high end scanner, DSL Ethernet for my web surfing pleasure, Firewire for digital video, USB devices out the yin yang (mice, keybboard, USB Audio, Printer, CD-Writer, Palm sync),SCSI, wireless networking throughout my house so my wife can surf on the powerbook AND file-share while I work (Airport), AND I still run the Serial Midi Device (Opcode Studio 4 through a Stealth serial port) that I bought to run with my 7100 (which by the way is still functional and being used by friends every day after 8 years). My system rarely crashes, and when it does....99% of the time it is becouse of some Internet Explorer error. I have not ever once had Pro Tools crash on me, and I run just about every plug in made, DirectConnect, Softsynths, etc..

Am I a "Mac zealot"....? Yeah....maybe.

But if you have this kind of history with a tool that has allowed what meager creativity leaks out of you to be realized time and time again for over 16 years....you kind of get that "brand loyalty" thing going on.

have a nice day

Old 11-22-2001, 11:35 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Kamurah:
My system rarely crashes, and when it does....99% of the time it is becouse of some Internet Explorer error.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Phil