Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2015, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Just a reminder to everyone that blogs often get it wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleeHD View Post
it's honestly a personal blog I just created this past Friday and is not intended to be high level journalism but thoughts and musings
I don't know what the distinction is between "personal blog" and "non-personal blog"... But what I encountered was false information in a publicly-displayed blog, along with recommendations by the writer of that blog. Since these recommendations were not based on the actual licensing terms, I spoke up. Interpreting my post as "threatening" is ridiculous. If the information is fit to write about, even on a personal blog, it's important enough to verify. It's not hard to verify, the FAQ is made specifically for this purpose.

The purpose of this thread was to warn people about the existence of blogs and articles that post incorrect information as though it were truth, with the writer claiming this false info was quoted from a reliable source - also known as "bad reporting". And yes, I know you're not a professional reporter, but you were attempting to report information to an audience.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I can take CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. I will not tolerate attacks on what my intentions are, my integrity, etc.

I'm not sure who is who here, but whoever left a comment for me that I saw this morning when I woke up pointed things out in a gracious and non-threatening way. I quickly resolved the issue and thanked him. That's just people skills. If you come out being brash and offensive, you automatically turn people off.

When it comes down to it, it's honestly a personal blog I just created this past Friday and is not intended to be high level journalism but thoughts and musings.
But you could at least post factual info or at least check to see what you're posting is correct. If you post things as fact it's incumbent upon yourself to get your facts straight and expect to get called out if they're wrong. Sometimes you have to grow a thick skin if you're going to post in a public forum/web page.

QAPLA!
Old 01-29-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
If you had bothered to fact check your 'facts' then none of this would have happened. That's called poor journalism not to have done that.
Bloggers aren't journalists. They are somewhere between opinion writers and short story fiction writers.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 01-29-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Bloggers aren't journalists.
And it appears journalists are not scientists either. They can publish almost anything nowadays...
Old 01-29-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
And it appears journalists are not scientists either. They can publish almost anything nowadays...
What do you mean "nowadays"? They have ALWAYS published whatever they want. It's all about finding a good headline that sells more copies and advertising revenue.

Peer reviewed scientific journals are a whole other universe.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 01-29-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
But you could at least post factual info or at least check to see what you're posting is correct. If you post things as fact it's incumbent upon yourself to get your facts straight and expect to get called out if they're wrong. Sometimes you have to grow a thick skin if you're going to post in a public forum/web page.
I can have a thick skin, but I don't have to allow someone to continue posting on my site. To raise hell because I banned someone shows that someone else doesn't have thick skin as well.

Honestly, you expect too much from a source that generally doesn't warrant such "high level investigative journalism and fact checking." It's the equivalent of "I just repeated whatever that Avid rep told me at NAMM."

If that bothers you that I had wrong information that I trusted in good will then I'm sorry. I corrected the errors as I never intended to mislead, but I'm honestly not going to go out of my way to fact check everything. This isn't my job or source of income. I think most people who hear from an Avid rep would feel that they could repeat the same information to a friend or post a facebook status. A personal blog really isn't that much different.

If you want high caliber journalism, go to a website that specializes in that. Either way, I have a right to ban whoever I want from my site and if that bugs anyone, tough luck. Make your own website where you can complain about it then.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
To raise hell because I banned someone shows that someone else doesn't have thick skin as well.
Yes, look at the hell I have raised. A post on a Pro Tools forum. I'm out of control!

Look man, you keep talking about how you shouldn't be expected to fact check because it's just a blog, or because of this and that. When you relay information to an audience and claim that the information is direct from the source - in this case Avid, by proxy of the Avid rep - you need to get it right.

You blame the rep, is it not possible that you misheard or misunderstood what he told you? Were you going by memory, or taking notes? You went into great detail about which option provides what service, but it was wrong. You obviously spent a decent amount of time writing that article, you should have taken 10 minutes to verify the material. At this point you should just consider this a learning experience. I make mistakes too, but I don't spend more time defending them than I do correcting them.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
http://www.bleehd.com/news/2015/1/26...f-pro-tools-12

I pointed out the inaccuracies, and linked to the Licensing FAQ The blogger then claimed he was just repeating what an Avid rep told him, and banned me for "accusing [him] of lying", then deleted my comment

So if you read something about the licensing that seems iffy, double check at the source.
I didn't find anything that wrong with what he posted and it was the same information I got from my sales rep from AVID as well.

I have to agree with the blogger that AVID is going to lose a lot of users with this new "cannot upgrade" extortion plan.
They still haven't made clear the HD users and hardware, basically from what I gather you will have to buy the hardware again if you don't keep your license current as purchasing an HD license is only possible with the purchase of hardware.

The music side of pro tools users are jumping ship which makes up most of AVID's user base. Picture editors are as well. Independent editors are moving to Premier.

Post people are stuck for now, but I certainly won't be buying anymore AVID gear for music. Nor are any of my peers. Several of us were planning on buying Native rigs this year, but that isn't going to happen now.

Since Pro Tools 12 only has 1 new feature, that no one cares about, its a pretty worthless upgrade.

I won't be buying another Artist series addon or S6 either. I've been thinking now more about moving to Raven since I won't be dumping 7k on an HD rig this year.

Its probably the best news for many DAW makers this year. I'm sure they will see many sales increases while AVID's declines.

Funny thing is, I have a Nuendo 3 license still. I can still upgrade that. At least the feature sets grow every year rather than get less.

Besides, we all know AVID's update history. A new version usually takes 9 to 18 months for it to be solid and "prime time ready".
11 still has a bunch of problems, so you are paying for bugs you basically can't get fixed.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables
Old 01-29-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Yes, look at the hell I have raised. A post on a Pro Tools forum. I'm out of control!

Look man, you keep talking about how you shouldn't be expected to fact check because it's just a blog, or because of this and that. When you relay information to an audience and claim that the information is direct from the source - in this case Avid, by proxy of the Avid rep - you need to get it right.

You blame the rep, is it not possible that you misheard or misunderstood what he told you? Were you going by memory, or taking notes? You went into great detail about which option provides what service, but it was wrong. You obviously spent a decent amount of time writing that article, you should have taken 10 minutes to verify the material. At this point you should just consider this a learning experience. I make mistakes too, but I don't spend more time defending them than I do correcting them.

We'll have to agree to disagree and you'll just have to deal with it.

I think anything is possible, but I'm a fairly shrewd and cheap person, so I pay attention to when something sounds fishy. I was very pointed in my clarifying questions and pretty much restated the points I originally had and said "from what I understand, XYZ. Is that correct?" I then took notes. None of this was from memory hours or days later.

I actually didn't spend that much time writing the article as most of the article was a copy and paste from the notes I took while talking to him. Perhaps the rep misunderstood me or even he didn't know the correct facts. He's not perfect either, nor am I.

People who know me know that I'm very open to learning, especially from my mistakes. You don't know me so you wouldn't know that. I also corrected the information awhile ago and don't see a need to continually correct what isn't wrong anymore. I do however want to address someone who misrepresents the reality of who I am and proclaims assumptions as truth to not only this blog, but various comment sections of multiple websites and forums. It's not "just this blog."

I think you would be rather upset if someone was presenting libel over multiple places online. I think it's important to give both sides. Plus, why do you still try to fight the site when it's accurate now AND links to the source material? If a person blindly follows things and doesn't do their own due diligence to verify, I guess from your perspective, it's their fault. Some people are more trusting than others and like to take people at their word. I was one of them with an Avid rep who got it wrong. Some may have trusted me and I got it wrong, but I corrected it. I don't know what else you want from me.

You also are even talking down to me here about how you don't spend time defending them but correcting your issues. You still haven't responded in the least to my suggestion to focus on your people skills, specifically as it relates to criticism or correction, in a way that is constructive rather than offensively critical.

All that to say, I think we're at a moot point because I think we're both at fault and we have differing views on various things and we'll just have to live with it. For me, I'm just choosing to not care anymore and will not respond anymore because I have more interesting things to do with my life and am more than busy working full time and working on my two masters degrees among other things.

Whatever you think, I still wish the best of luck to you in whatever your endeavors are. Good day.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
I didn't find anything that wrong with what he posted and it was the same information I got from my sales rep from AVID as well.
Then you didn't read the article before his corrections, which is when I read and responded to it.