Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Nilesh had some good advice there...

I have a Carvin Legacy Half Stack and an MXL 2001...microphone cord is on the way, it will arrives with the monitor speakers!
Old 06-06-2005, 01:00 PM

graveleye,

Great stuff there-and I agree.

Years and years ago I was working with a bass player-long before I got into recording-and he was a genius. We had nothing, a 57, a mixer as old as dirt, a crappy porta-one-I mean nothing. We recorded in mono! We had no monitors to speak of-whatever his parents had-and they weren't audiophiles by any means-I'm talkin' Fisher!

We sent the finished tape of 2 songs up to a studio in West Chester, NY (Java Studios-I don't even know if they're around anymore) and got the call. The owner brought us up and comp'd us all sorts of time (sad to say nothing ever became of it). To give Java credit, Whitney Houston was there the week before us-for what that's worth...the engineer and owner were going nuts over this bass player's (named Tim) recording. They could not get over how it sounded and kept asking us what he used. They had such a hard time believing us.

The fact remains that he used almost nothing, except pure talent.

Today, I still work with Tim but I've sucked his mind dry and now I'm the recording guy! I still think he's da man, tho. And today I've got thousands of dollars worth of equip and yes, everything is so much more. But, the fact remained that those early mixes were amazing-they had a Sgt. Pepper's/Pet Sounds feel.

It was then that I learned about the talent/ear thing.

Isn't this fun?

Chris
Old 06-06-2005, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I have a Carvin Legacy Half Stack and an MXL 2001...microphone cord is on the way, it will arrives with the monitor speakers!
That sounds like a good start. I know you dont have much of a budget, but you have to get some essentials. I wouldnt skimp on the monitors, although a decent front end is also worth the money - invest in a decent pre-amp too. But, crappy monitors are not going to make a nice preamp sound good.

In fact... ask the DUC this question: "What is the best preamp..." Thats always a good way to get on everyones nerves.

Seriously though, above, I said the word "invest". You invest money into your equipment if you are serious about recording.. not all at once of course unless you are rich, but you have to start somewhere. If it is cost prohibited, then save. If you are serious, then you will spring for it.
Like Chris pointed out, you dont have to have a lot to make a good recording, but it helps, and the more you record, you will find yourself needing this stuff.

lol - I definatly never said it couldnt be done. Just saying that isnt the norm.

Chris, sounds like you learned the hard way like I did. im(not so)ho, learning the hard way, is learning the best way. Keep plugging. If you get tired of recording and cant get it right, then perhaps its not your bag.

Old 06-06-2005, 01:34 PM

graveleye,

Recording didn't get fun until I bought my 001 (sounds like a slogan, doesn't it?).

Before that recording was tiresome and the results were always mixed. Now, I'm amazed, as are others, to the incredible quality that is achieved at home. It's no wonder the big guys are scared. Imagine what the recording world will look like 20 years from now!

Of course, there's a lot of "crap" out there being produced so it might just make it harder to find the good stuff? Who knows.

Chris
Old 06-07-2005, 08:52 PM

Default song sample

Here is the song i've been working on..it is just the instrumentation. It seems that when i turn it up all i hear are mids and highs that cause me to cringe. However, i was originally having problems with bass dominating everything and the ultra highs (highhat, rides) being too prevalent. See what you guys recommend.

can anyone host this file or set me up with some free hosting.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: making songs sound \"good\"

Quote:
Well, i just ordered the Studiophile DX4's and two balanced TRS cables. I guess this will be very helpful?? I'm going broke here...almost 600 for the MBOX factory bundle and now 200 for speakers and cables. It seems odd to complain about that small amount but i am a graduate student with only a lousy stipend every semester! It sucks being poor!
There's no such thing as a good sounding set of $200.00 speakers, period. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:14 PM

the only reason i ordered these speakers is because this board recommended them as they fall within my price range. I've read the reviews, and for someone in my position they were a logical choice.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:11 PM

That site is a vast knowledgebase that no single person could read in a day man!! It is awesome!! Thanks for the link
Old 06-09-2005, 03:05 PM

The artical on subtractive eq'ing has me rethinking alot of my aproach to eq.

There is a wealth of stuff there I agree. And its free
Quote:
That site is a vast knowledgebase that no single person could read in a day man!! It is awesome!! Thanks for the link

www.kineticrecordingstudios.com
Old 06-10-2005, 10:26 AM

Well, i returned the M-audio speakers and ordered a pair of Samson Resolve 65a's. They have the 6 1/2 inch woofer and supposed to be very good, tried-and-true speakers.